Getting Sim City (Simcity) 2000 to Run in Classic?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rkortes, Nov 1, 2006.

1. rkortes macrumors newbie

Hi Folks, I teach computer applications to middle school kids. I have been using Sim City 2000 for the last 10 years. I tried SC 3000 and SC 4 and don't find they have the same educational value as 2000. Has anyone been able to get that game running in Classic on their eMacs? We are running 10.4.7.......thanks!

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

3. rkortes thread starter macrumors newbie

1 GHZ PowerPC G4

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

1 more question how much memory, the more the merrier. It should run in classic without many problems, Might be slightly slower tho.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It should work with out any problems. However, you may need to increase the memory allocation to SC2K. To do that click on the icon for SC2K and type command-I locate the memory pane, and increase the minimum size and preferred size. After that, everything should work fine.

TEG

6. rkortes thread starter macrumors newbie

640 MB SDRAM -- When I attempt to run the game now. The system kind of blinks and then jumps back to the desk top. The game never launches.

7. Queso macrumors G4

SC2000 works fine in Classic.

Handy that you don't want to use SC3K because that runs like a pig on OSX thanks to the way it handles virtual memory, but 2000 doesn't suffer from the same issue.

Try different screen resolution and colour settings. Some old Classic games require that you set to 256 colours before they'll run.

EDIT : Just tried SC2000 special edition on my iMac G5. 256 colours is necessary.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What kids of graphics card, that sounds like the problem.

9. Mojo The Monkey macrumors newbie

SimCity 2000 was released when the PowerMac 6100 was the hot new thing, tearing through applications at 66 Mhz and with a maximum of 32 MB of RAM.

Even though you're working in Classic, the processor has more than 15x the clockspeed. SimCity 2000 actually runs too fast on my G4 iBook to play comfortably.

10. rkortes thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I deterimine that?

11. rkortes thread starter macrumors newbie

SC2K worked great on iMacs running 400Mhz, 128mb ram, using OS 9.2. I can't even get the game to launch on this eMac.

12. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

You should get a warning telling you your colour depth needs to be changed to 256 colours. If you don't change it manually via system preferences > displays then try to run the game. I've enjoyed SC 2000 under 10.4 for a long time on a G5 it runs fine. Hope you get it to work, still one of the best games :)

13. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Have you installed the classic support? For me it came as an extra disc (my powerbook came pre-installed with tiger) that I had to install. I can currently play SC2000 and Oregon Trail to my Heart's Content.

14. rkortes thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, with all of the positive feedback and great ideas I finally got it to launch. Thanks everyone. I'm not sure how well the game will work. I'll let you know soon.