Getting SimCity 3000 to run on OS X?

Discussion in 'Games' started by johnbro23, Dec 31, 2004.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

Hey, I'm wondering if it's possible to run SimCity 3000 on OS X since its so damn slow in classic. Maybe there's a patch or something that I can download? My friend said he got a patch for Unreal Tournament to run in OS X. Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance :)

2. applekid macrumors 68020

Can't be done. No patch.

You'd think it'd work though. When I tried it in Classic, I got as far as the load screen filling up all the way. Then, it just freezes visually, but you still have the music playing in the background.

3. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, its so slow... it takes an hour to get through a year, and you only get paid once a year. So you expand your city in January or February, then just wait another 45 minutes til you can do something else. No wonder people say games suck on Macs. Even ones we actually have just suck.

Considering how old that game is, it should run fine on my computer. My computer is like the high end Mac when that game was realeased (eMac 1.25 Ghz, 768 MB ram).

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Games are incredibly notorious for running poorly in Classic, SimCity 3000 included.

I bought the game about a year ago for $12 on eBay. I tried it out on the family's 1 GHz eMac under Classic (this was the first eMac that couldn't boot into OS 9) and it ran like a DOG. It was common for the date to freeze entirely.

I installed it on my iBook 700 MHz G3, which had the ability to boot into OS 9 as opposed to simply running under Classic. SimCity 3000 ran GREAT.

The moral of the story is to not even bother playing games in Classic mode. SimCity 4 is a much better game than SC3k if your computer can run it reasonably well anyway.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

I will say SimCity 3000 runs great if you reboot into OS 9. But, if I'm not mistaken, your eMac can't.

I'm surprised you guys actually got into the game through Classic. It still always freezes for me. :( Sa'right though.

6. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I actually played it for a while. I let it run over night (got about 8 years through in 8 hours) and let it make some money. So in the morning I expanded my city. Anyways, thats just rediculous to have to do, so thats why I posted this topic.

By the way... why can't I boot into OS 9?

7. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Because Apple started removing firmware code to boot OS 9 in new models somewhere in 2003(?). Apple wants you to use OS X.

Here is a list of OS 9 support:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25114

Your eMac might support booting into OS 9. Note that the list also mentions the Classic environment but ofcourse, that's not what you're after.

On another note: I once played Sim City 2000 under Classic, which ran absolutely fine.