Getting small shocks from my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jrea, Nov 5, 2006.

1. jrea macrumors newbie

When I have my Macbook Pro plugged into the mains, I can feel a small electric charge running through the casing, if I rub the back of my hand across it (particularly to the left and right of the trackpad)... what's worse is when I touch the lower edge of the palm rests with my wrists to type, I get a small shock.

This surely can't be common to MBP's!?

Nearest apple store is a ****ing 3 hour train ride.

2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I don't know about anybody else, but my powermac has always done this.

It only makes itself known if I stroke the metal casing - but you can def feel a charge...I thought it was something to do with a Belkin card I put in it, but it happens even if I take it out.

Don't think it's serious - but I don't know. Anyone?

3. xiaoyu04 macrumors member

is your hand hairy? because it could just be a standard static electricity shock.

4. redrabbit macrumors 6502

My MBP does this, as does my TV when I put my hand on the corners

5. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Well Apple 'Thinks Different' so maybe this was one of those 'Don't let yourself fall asleep while studying for an exam' type feature. :p

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i remember reading about this somewhere else. you should call apple about it.

7. macjay macrumors 6502

The aluminum casing conducts electricity. I've felt the electric current and been lightly "shocked" many times while playing with the alu PB's and MBP's at the store.

I have also felt mini electric shocks from the aluminum trackpad on my iBook.

8. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I'm curious, what would happen if I licked my magsafe?

9. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

It's because you are not using the 3-Prong power cord.

The issue is with the power that you are connected to. Try using the 3-prong power cable, or try reversing the power plug in the wall. (Flip it over)

It happens with the power coming into the house isn't very clean. This happens to me every time we go to our beach house. The house isn't grounded, and the power is very dirty.

10. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

My 12" PowerBook used to shock me to all hell. Sometimes I would be typing on it and my girlfriend and would come say and when she put her hand on my back she'd feel the charge! To be honest it freaked us both out. So I recently got my MBP and was rather depressed to find that there is the same bit of electricity flow on it. It is considerably less, but we can both feel that there is a distinct current. It's really annoying.

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It happens for me as well. I kind of like the buzz but it's just another one of the little engineering problems the MBP has.

12. jrea thread starter macrumors newbie

!

I'm in the UK, so all of our plugs have a ground pin as standard, HOWEVER, I wasn't using the extension cord that came with the power adapter (I was just using the plug). Swapping to the cord has got rid of the problem. Much better.

Thanks a lot.

13. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

14. nitynate macrumors 6502a

And more? :eek:

15. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Space alien hard drive probes

16. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA im in stiches now thanks :D

17. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

Done it on a dare..(and i have braces..) nothing happened... but my tounge was dry...

18. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

I'm happy to have helped. Being that attaching the grounded cord corrected the problem, that means that your house is grounded correctly. The bad news is that it also means that you "dirty power" in the walls. You may want to invest in a Battery Backup with "AVR". This will help prolong the life of your Macbook Pro.

19. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Stop rubbing your feet on the carpet floor when playing with your Mac. That should fix the problem ;)

The Stig

20. kalun macrumors regular

L2ElectroStaticDischarge!!!:p

but seriously tho, If I were you, I will phone apple. Well...or buy rubber gloves.....:D

21. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

This could be just static electricity. I have the anti-static mat near my computer desk to prevent the static electricity. It works. In the past, when I walk into my place and after a few steps over the carpet (on which computer desks are positioned) with shoes off (and socks on), one or two of my Macs wakes up from sleep because of the static electricity.
    Now with this mat (I had to buy it online as this is a specialty mat), it has not happened since then.
    Also, using the 3-prong plug would be a good idea as the previous poster mentioned. Actually, I am going to use that with my MBP.

22. nermal0 macrumors regular

23. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

It comes down to bad grounding in the laptop. Call Apple. Tell them you are getting shocked by your laptop. They will replace it or repair it.

24. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Just as an FYI I've nominated you for a Darwin award.

25. skippy911 macrumors regular

How do you get your tounge dry? Mine is always wet :(