Getting small shocks from my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jrea, Nov 5, 2006.

  1. jrea macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    #1
    When I have my Macbook Pro plugged into the mains, I can feel a small electric charge running through the casing, if I rub the back of my hand across it (particularly to the left and right of the trackpad)... what's worse is when I touch the lower edge of the palm rests with my wrists to type, I get a small shock.

    This surely can't be common to MBP's!?

    Nearest apple store is a ****ing 3 hour train ride.
     
  2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

    Maxiseller

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Location:
    Little grey, chilly island.
    #2
    I don't know about anybody else, but my powermac has always done this.

    It only makes itself known if I stroke the metal casing - but you can def feel a charge...I thought it was something to do with a Belkin card I put in it, but it happens even if I take it out.

    Don't think it's serious - but I don't know. Anyone?
     
  3. xiaoyu04 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location:
    Merced, CA
    #3
    is your hand hairy? because it could just be a standard static electricity shock.
     
  4. redrabbit macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #4
    My MBP does this, as does my TV when I put my hand on the corners
     
  5. monke macrumors 65816

    monke

    Joined:
    May 30, 2005
    #5
    Well Apple 'Thinks Different' so maybe this was one of those 'Don't let yourself fall asleep while studying for an exam' type feature. :p
     
  6. e12a macrumors 68000

    e12a

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    #6
    i remember reading about this somewhere else. you should call apple about it.
     
  7. macjay macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    #7
    The aluminum casing conducts electricity. I've felt the electric current and been lightly "shocked" many times while playing with the alu PB's and MBP's at the store.

    I have also felt mini electric shocks from the aluminum trackpad on my iBook.
     
  8. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

    Unorthodox

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
    Location:
    Not at the beach...
    #8
    I'm curious, what would happen if I licked my magsafe?
     
  9. Transeau macrumors 6502a

    Transeau

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2005
    Location:
    Alta Loma, CA
    #9
    It's because you are not using the 3-Prong power cord.

    The issue is with the power that you are connected to. Try using the 3-prong power cable, or try reversing the power plug in the wall. (Flip it over)

    It happens with the power coming into the house isn't very clean. This happens to me every time we go to our beach house. The house isn't grounded, and the power is very dirty.
     
  10. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

    tjcampbell

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    Location:
    Vancouver
    #10
    My 12" PowerBook used to shock me to all hell. Sometimes I would be typing on it and my girlfriend and would come say and when she put her hand on my back she'd feel the charge! To be honest it freaked us both out. So I recently got my MBP and was rather depressed to find that there is the same bit of electricity flow on it. It is considerably less, but we can both feel that there is a distinct current. It's really annoying.
     
  11. Sesshi macrumors G3

    Sesshi

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2006
    Location:
    One Nation Under Gordon
    #11
    It happens for me as well. I kind of like the buzz but it's just another one of the little engineering problems the MBP has.
     
  12. jrea thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    #12
    !

    I'm in the UK, so all of our plugs have a ground pin as standard, HOWEVER, I wasn't using the extension cord that came with the power adapter (I was just using the plug). Swapping to the cord has got rid of the problem. Much better.

    Thanks a lot.
     
  13. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

    mdntcallr

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2000
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #13
  14. nitynate macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2006
    Location:
    Clearwater, FL
    #14
    And more? :eek:
     
  15. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

    Unorthodox

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
    Location:
    Not at the beach...
    #15
    Space alien hard drive probes
     
  16. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

    iJawn108

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2006
    #16
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA im in stiches now thanks :D
     
  17. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

    SBik2

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2006
    Location:
    /private/var/root
    #17
    Done it on a dare..(and i have braces..) nothing happened... but my tounge was dry...
     
  18. Transeau macrumors 6502a

    Transeau

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2005
    Location:
    Alta Loma, CA
    #18
    I'm happy to have helped. Being that attaching the grounded cord corrected the problem, that means that your house is grounded correctly. The bad news is that it also means that you "dirty power" in the walls. You may want to invest in a Battery Backup with "AVR". This will help prolong the life of your Macbook Pro.
     
  19. The Stig macrumors 6502a

    The Stig

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2006
    Location:
    On the track
    #19
    Stop rubbing your feet on the carpet floor when playing with your Mac. That should fix the problem ;)

    The Stig
     
  20. kalun macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2006
    #20
    L2ElectroStaticDischarge!!!:p

    but seriously tho, If I were you, I will phone apple. Well...or buy rubber gloves.....:D
     
  21. YS2003 macrumors 68020

    YS2003

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location:
    Finally I have arrived.....
    #21
    This could be just static electricity. I have the anti-static mat near my computer desk to prevent the static electricity. It works. In the past, when I walk into my place and after a few steps over the carpet (on which computer desks are positioned) with shoes off (and socks on), one or two of my Macs wakes up from sleep because of the static electricity.
    Now with this mat (I had to buy it online as this is a specialty mat), it has not happened since then.
    Also, using the 3-prong plug would be a good idea as the previous poster mentioned. Actually, I am going to use that with my MBP.
     
  22. nermal0 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    Location:
    Germany
    #22
  23. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

    SiliconAddict

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2003
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #23
    It comes down to bad grounding in the laptop. Call Apple. Tell them you are getting shocked by your laptop. They will replace it or repair it.
     
  24. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

    SiliconAddict

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2003
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #24
    Just as an FYI I've nominated you for a Darwin award.
     
  25. skippy911 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    #25
    How do you get your tounge dry? Mine is always wet :(
     

Share This Page