Getting software/etc onto an SE/30

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Thomas Harte, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2005
    I'm a recent convert to Apple on the scale of things (OS X v10.3 onwards), but I'm also in the habit of occasionally putting very low bids on eBay stuff on the basis that sometimes I get a bargain. I have just achieved exactly that by winning an SE/30.

My main question is now: how can I get software onto it? The SE/30 comes with System 6.0.8 and at present my real computer is a Core Duo MacBook Pro — if I get a USB floppy drive will it be able to read and write floppies from the SE/30? If so, will any generic USB floppy drive work or are some hard wired to only support a PC style sector layout? What are my options re:networking?

Ideally I don't want to upgrade to System 7 if possible, as I have some messing around/programming stuff I want to investigate with System 6. But I'm not too bothered about it.
  2. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

May 19, 2005
    Escape from New England
    System 6 Info has everything you want to know about System 6.
  3. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Aug 22, 2006
    Southeastern USA
    Over on macosxhints, there is a good discussion re: floppy drives on older Macs:

One way or another, it probably requires additional hardware. Unless your SE/30 came with an ethernet adatper, you probably only have serial ports. That means you'd have to run Appletalk and get a bridge to get over to the ethernet world.
  4. Thomas Harte thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2005
    Got any opinion on those DynaPort SCSI ethernet adapters? They seem to be a little more readily available than the internal expansion, and sound much better to me since I'm quite a klutz. I guess my main concern is how well they play with the OS?
  5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Get back on eBay and find yourself a SCSI CD-ROM or CD-RW drive. It will make your life SO much easier...
  6. Thomas Harte thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2005
    Right, I am now bidding on (variously) an AppleCD 300e Plus, a DB25 to Centronics 50 pin cable and a related terminator. Now doubt I'll be back in a couple of weeks if I can't get all of those to play together with the SE/30. Which is not unlikely as I have no SCSI knowledge whatsoever...
  7. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2006
    From what I've seen, the SCSI ethernet adapters usually go for just as much as the internal Asante IIsi/SE30 adapters, if not more. The SCSI adapters seem to be flakier as well, seeing as the design is kludging one interface to support another. I picked up one of the Asante adapters for $45 shipped, although I've seen them as low as $25. It's the fastest way to copy files straight from my Mini to the SE/30, and it's never given me any problems.

Not all of the Asante adapters had 10base-T jacks (which accept standard modern ethernet cable RJ-45 plugs) though, so be sure to double check before bidding.
  8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan
    I have an Asnte SCSI > Ethernet adapter and it works fine. I just had to install the software and I had no trouble. :)