Getting software/etc onto an SE/30

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Thomas Harte, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

I'm a recent convert to Apple on the scale of things (OS X v10.3 onwards), but I'm also in the habit of occasionally putting very low bids on eBay stuff on the basis that sometimes I get a bargain. I have just achieved exactly that by winning an SE/30.

My main question is now: how can I get software onto it? The SE/30 comes with System 6.0.8 and at present my real computer is a Core Duo MacBook Pro — if I get a USB floppy drive will it be able to read and write floppies from the SE/30? If so, will any generic USB floppy drive work or are some hard wired to only support a PC style sector layout? What are my options re:networking?

Ideally I don't want to upgrade to System 7 if possible, as I have some messing around/programming stuff I want to investigate with System 6. But I'm not too bothered about it.

2. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

System 6 Info has everything you want to know about System 6.

3. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Over on macosxhints, there is a good discussion re: floppy drives on older Macs:
    http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=36900

One way or another, it probably requires additional hardware. Unless your SE/30 came with an ethernet adatper, you probably only have serial ports. That means you'd have to run Appletalk and get a bridge to get over to the ethernet world.

4. Thomas Harte thread starter macrumors 6502

Got any opinion on those DynaPort SCSI ethernet adapters? They seem to be a little more readily available than the internal expansion, and sound much better to me since I'm quite a klutz. I guess my main concern is how well they play with the OS?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Get back on eBay and find yourself a SCSI CD-ROM or CD-RW drive. It will make your life SO much easier...

6. Thomas Harte thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, I am now bidding on (variously) an AppleCD 300e Plus, a DB25 to Centronics 50 pin cable and a related terminator. Now doubt I'll be back in a couple of weeks if I can't get all of those to play together with the SE/30. Which is not unlikely as I have no SCSI knowledge whatsoever...

7. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

From what I've seen, the SCSI ethernet adapters usually go for just as much as the internal Asante IIsi/SE30 adapters, if not more. The SCSI adapters seem to be flakier as well, seeing as the design is kludging one interface to support another. I picked up one of the Asante adapters for $45 shipped, although I've seen them as low as $25. It's the fastest way to copy files straight from my Mini to the SE/30, and it's never given me any problems.

Not all of the Asante adapters had 10base-T jacks (which accept standard modern ethernet cable RJ-45 plugs) though, so be sure to double check before bidding.

8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have an Asnte SCSI > Ethernet adapter and it works fine. I just had to install the software and I had no trouble. :)