Getting Someone Else's Texts

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ckurt25, Sep 29, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

So last night around 10:30 PM my iPhone 5 starts buzzing that I'm getting new texts (they came in as iMessages). The weird thing was I didn't send any message that looked like came from me. I actually watched things show up that looked like I was typing them, but I wasn't. There is a screenshot below. The person receiving the messages said something like it looked like the real sender was sending from a phone number and (my) email address.

Anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

http://db.tt/7oxMHQEh

2. macrumors 6502a

did you sell your previous iPhone? did that phone have iMessage?

3. macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

they must have your email/phone in imessages or you have their info! that's the only way they get crossed over trust me i speak from experience!

4. macrumors 68030

Did someone include you on a group message? Using your email address instead of your phone number? In settings do you have checked your phone number and email address for iMessage? If so can't someone just use that as a group message, like say I want to txt 5 people, I include 555-1212, 555-1213, and you@address.com and it goes out to those people. Because you have an email associated with your iMessage you get it. Just a guess, I don't send group iMessages out myself.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I didn't know either of the people and there is no way it was a group thing. I did have an iPhone 4S with iMessage but its still in my possession.

It's like person 1 started texting person 2 and in the middle of it all, somehow my email address for iMessage got sucked in. Like I said, it was like watching someone send messages from my own phone as they showed up as sent from me.