getting started programming

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Rmpl, Jan 17, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Hi. I need a little help getting started programming. I'm not completely new, it's just been a few years and I'm having trouble remembering a few things. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm using OS X 10.4.11.

1) Where is my .bash file that the terminal reads when I first login? I can't find it.

2) How do I install apps from the shell? I need "make" so I can compile my code but I don't know how to install it.

I feel pretty dumb not knowing how to do these things. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. macrumors member

It's not there. You need to create it. /Users/<shortusername>/.bashrc

"make" is installed with Xcode. You get it from Apple's Devloper Connection. You'll need Xcode 2.4 for Mac OS X 10.4. Xcode 3 is for 10.5 only.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I got xcode installed from the link you provided. For the .bashrc file I had to name the file .profile and it worked. Even before I had a .profile file the login said "Last Login: ..." and "Welcome to Darwin!". Where is the shell getting those commands? I'd like to edit that file.

4. macrumors 603

Cromulent

You should always edit your own personal files and not the system wide ones.