Getting Started with XCode

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheWitePony, Jun 30, 2004.

1. TheWitePony macrumors regular

I have a java class next semester and I'm trying to learn how to use XCode. I am having a bit of trouble setting up a project. I have a project that requires two files that I know works, but when I try building it in XCode I get the message "myapp has exited with status 1", thats all i get.

I'm trying to create an empty project and add the files to it. I then create a target for the files and then build it, right? But that message is as far as I get. When I try creating a project using a template the test files compile and run fine, so what am I doing wrong in creating my empty project?

I'd really just like to start my projects from nothing and add the files I'd like to work with. I don't like trying to work around all that other stuff. I've never used XCode before, so I'm probably doing something really dumb and obvious I hope. Any insight into this would be awesome, I'd really like to use XCode next semester....

Thanks...

2. dethl macrumors regular

I've noticed in XCode that any stupid mistakes (like segmentation faults) status results other than 0. Most of my mistakes yield a status 9 (segfault- memory location doesn't exist... :p).

Anyway, look to see if you have a function thats being called into infinity or recursively without an exit statement. I can't really help you with Java, as I've been using XCode for Objective-C/Cocoa projects.

3. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Does anyone in here use XCode to compile Java? I've been wanting to use it, but I've been using NetBeans instead since I thought it was better with Java.

4. iJed macrumors 6502

Xcode currently treats Java as a second class language. It lacks support for things like code autocompletion and API lookup. Apple has announced that Xcode 2.0 on Tiger will add these features so Java support will get much better. You will probably be better sticking with NetBeans for the time being (unless you want to use Cocoa.)