getting that itunes 7 look in xcode

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by tominated, Nov 26, 2006.

1. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

how do you get that smooth grey plasticish look that itunes 7 has in xcode. i am a total n00b with xcode. please reply.
    BTW: i ca't manage to get images instead of buttons, i try to drag the images onto the button but it says that the project doesn't support it, the project is a cocoa one

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You code the entire thing yourself using thousands of images, there is no built-in simple way to do it. Or just use a standard interface. It's better anyway.

3. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Is it really that bad?!

Wow, can one not import their window template?! I had no idea it'd be that difficult. I agree that the normal default looks the best, but WOW.

I have no idea how they do games then. Loads of respect for getting stuff like that done.

Now where's that Objective-C books gone?!

F

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The issue is that Apple hasn't released the tools for that look... not that *they* are actually going around coding things like this... if you want brushed metal or standard aqua, there is no such issue... but Apple is holding the iTunes 7 look close to the chest for now. Probably in XCode 3 with Leopard, in the new interface builder?

Or else, I don't know how the Uno people do it.... perhaps if you can find a piece of OSS that has already tried to emulate the iTunes 7 look you can extense their interface.

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Games use basically entirely custom UIs anyway; often done in OpenGL since they tend to have lots of 3D coders hanging around anyway, and it looks neat.

6. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

oh, so i should wait til i get leapard, thats fine with me

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Hard to say; Apple tends to play around with new UIs in a few apps before releasing them to the public. I'm sure IB3 has new controls available, but I wouldn't necessarily expect iTunes 7 style.

8. maximile macrumors member