Getting the best from PS2?

Discussion in 'Games' started by LastLine, Mar 14, 2007.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

So I've just bought Final Fantasy XII (At last) and I want to run it through my old PS2 (the big one...) to my 720p HDTV - what's the best way to get results? It's currently using Scart, obviously not great, but I"m willing to spend a little bit on a cable if needs be.

Before anyone suggests a PS3 I a) Can't afford one, b) Don't need one c) don't want the games, d) Can't afford one, e) Don't need one f) don't want the games.

Yes - it's repeated twice - just in case.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Really?! Looks like its repeated once to me...

3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I'm dumb ;)

Either way, at least it got noticed :p Anyone able to help out with the original question anyway?

4. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

not without repeating something already said.....;)

5. applekid macrumors 68020

SCART? Is that better than S-Video or Composite? I assume you're using an adapter though since I don't think there are PS2 SCART video cables.

Anyways, I'd get S-Video cables. The difference in the sharpness and colors with S-Video and composite on the PS2 is just absolutely amazing. You could get component cables, but I don't think FFXII runs in progressive nor do most other PS2 games.

If your TV has VGA inputs, you could go all out and get an upscaler. I have a ViewSonic NextVision N6 which is for upscaling or hooking up to a computer monitor. That's how I have my game consoles hooked up to my external display. There is slight lag though (20 ns) according to Guitar Hero II's test. Honestly the lag is not noticeable. It cost about $125 on eBay. If you want a zero-latency, professional upscaler, you're better off just getting a PS3 :D

6. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

7. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

So basically sticking with the Scart (EU Composite as I understand these things) is the best I'll get? :) Fair enough! Just wanted to make sure I was getting what I can.

When the PS3 drops around £150 in price I might look at one, but right now my 360 does the job for my hi-def gaming :)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Get a dedicated SCART cable, not a SCART adapter that takes S-Video or Composite. SCART is much above them, only falling to Component because that supports 480p+.

Maybe it's just me but 576i over Scart looks very good and something to compete against 480i on my tube TV. Almost 100 extra vertical pixels :D no wonder us Europeans care less for HD!

9. mokeyjoe macrumors member

Scart will give you the best analogue picture quality. Just make sure you get an RGB Scart cable and use the right scart input on your TV. Most TVs may have two Scart inputs but only one of them (usually Scart 2) will be RGB. Otherwise you are only going to get a composite signal.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sorry your wrong. Component is Analogue and superior to RGB scart as it allows ps2 games to play at 480p.

However even better still If you want HiDef from your PS2 - there is a new release which upscales all your PS2 games to 720p and 1080i and is meant to work very well according to forum posts - however some of the press have been less than impressed.

It even comes with a component cable in the box

[​IMG]

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=PT2287 and its only £14.99

11. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds a little too good to be true...has anyone tried this?

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sounds like my PS2 collection will get played on a PS2 after all.

13. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Will someone please enlight me on upscaling? I don't understand how upscaling a 480i signal to 720p will make it look any better :confused:

14. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Aint tried it, but it works. We sell a **** load of them. Cheap as chips. :)

15. applekid macrumors 68020

Sounds like upscaling 480i games to 480p games works well. Otherwise, the PS2 HDTV Player is lackluster. I might have to look into it though. There are so many 480i games on the PS2 that I would love to see in 480p (in particular Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3...), so it maybe worth it.