Getting the URL of an audio stream (and recording a stream)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dotnina, Feb 21, 2005.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    I'd like to use a program like AudioHijack to record a certain online radio show each week at a certain time. Before I can do that, it seems that I need to know the exact URL of the stream. The problem is, the station I want to record uses a proprietary player and I can't figure out what the URL of the actual stream is: here's what I mean.

Is there still some way to be able to automatically get the show recorded each week? What about a URL digger thinger to get the direct link to the audio stream? Thanks in advance for any tips. :)
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I could probably find it if I was at a Mac without WMP, like my own...but I'm stuck at a Windows machine, and all attempts to hide WMP's existence from Windows are failing.
  3. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    i believe the url for the cast is:
    If you are using Safari, click on Window on the top bar across the top, then Choose Activity. This shows all the jpegs and swf files, basically the activity for every site you are currently at. That URL above is a part of the activity for the little window of the proprietary player. Going though it I found the URL which when put into Safari to go to that address, it opens up MS Media player and plays the stream. So that URL is the stream.

I tried to open it with iTunes but it didn't work.
  4. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Wow -- thanks wrldwzrd89 (for your good intentions) and varmit (for the link)! You guys are great. I really appreciate that, this issue has been nagging me for a while. It looks like this is a ms-asf thing, which is a format Microsoft uses(?) ... anyway, it opens fine in Windows Media Player, and it looks like Audio Hijack lets you specify both a link and the appropriate program to open the link. :) It's recording right now.

Thanks thanks thanks thanks again. :)
  5. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    For "normal" streams, i.e. not WMP, you can use wget or streamripper (both are command line open source). I use streamripper from cron to record a radio stream for my wife every Sunday evening (WAMU, Big Broadcast - old time radio serials).