Getting Tiger FrontRow in Leopard

Discussion in 'OS X' started by anirban, Apr 25, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

anirban

I am planning on upgrading to Leopard soon, but I really hate the front row graphical interface of Leopard. Is there a way to get the Tiger's interface in Leopard?

Thanks a lot!

2. macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Yes, you can download the old version of Front Row here. Once downloaded, right-click on FrontRowUpdate1.3.1.pkg and select Show Package Contents. Open Archive.pax.gz, and inside the extracted folder will be System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app.

Backup the current Front Row application located your hard drive's System/Library/CoreServices (in case something goes wrong), then delete the original. Copy the version you just downloaded into the CoreServices folder, and voila!

It seems to be working fine on my Macbook, so hopefully it should do for your Mac too. :)

3. macrumors 68000

NATO

4. macrumors regular

Wow, had no idea you could do that. Only reason I would go thru all that is if it lets you resume videos from when they were last played like in Tiger.

5. macrumors regular

Right, I am going to attempt to do this, because I don't like the way Leopard's Front Row is handling my imported TV Shows at the moment, the order is all messed up.

A question though. Am I right in thinking that the Tiger Front Row was merely a kind of... front piece for iTunes? As in.. iTunes did all the work in the background, whilst Front Row presented it neatly? Whereas in Leopard, Front Row was more of a standalone app.

Also.. what kind of functionality is gained/lost from switching between the two?

6. macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I think thats exactly how it is. Front Row Leopard is set up like apple TV, and we know that iTunes isn't really installed in apple tv.

7. macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I can't believe how much better FR 1.3.1 is than version 2. Leopard is my first experience with Mac OS X so I never knew. Yes, the Tiger version is basically just a pretty cover for iTunes.

8. macrumors 6502

I like version 2 better because it scrolls through the titles like my iPod. Version 1, the titles don't scroll, so if you have many titles that start the same like "Star Trek Enterprise..." or "Planet Earth..." you cant see which episode it is. Version 2 the titles scroll sideways so you can read the whole title.

9. macrumors regular

It's a pity I can't get FR 1.31 to work then! :(

The above steps don't appear to work with my iBook G4...

Back to Front Row 2 then. Here's hoping things get fixed soon!

10. macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i know this forum is very old...

buuut - i did this switch for Leopard 10.5.6 with iLife '09 and photos is COMPLETELY unresponsive.

any thoughts on what i could do? besides for.. obviously upgrade to the standard Front Row?