Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

highmarcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
:mad: I'm a long...time P.C. user and have to say I'm very pleased with the platform. I use it for audio production and other digital arts. I however NEED to buy a mac because the selfish, little dictatorial company that Apple is refuses to let people use their software on non Apple machines (techno-extorsion). I'm getting into post production, and I need to learn Final Cut Pro. Of course, Mr.Jobs would never think of releasing a Windows version of F.C.P.. Gates offers mac versions of Office but Apple seems to have no interest in playing nice with others. What really pisses me off is that I will have to pay a premium for an Apple box with the same or lesser specs than a p.c.! NOTE to Apple. Compaq has released a lightweight, 14" Intel CORE DUO for only $1350.00! Word is Apple isn't going to offer any CORE DUO's outside of the MacBook Pro line, which means an entry fee of $2000.00. Apple better look like loading those iBooks up with the coreDuo or me and so...many others just aren't going to bother with changing platforms. I'll just learn Avid or Vegas instead of F.C.P.. Changing platforms is going to be a major p.i.a. what with no drivers yet written for more than half of the studio equipment and software that I own, and even then, I'll probably run into a million bugs with everything for the first six months, and...Apple wants to charge me a PREMIUM for this pleasure. Has Jobs lost it! Does he realize what a pain this whole Intel/Mac transition is going to be for consumers. He should be trying to woo us with attractive prices, not sitting up in his ivory tower throwing down ridiculous prices like his machines are the "haute coture" of computerdom. Three more things.
1. MacBook Pro sounds like something from Mac Donalds. 2. What's with all the iPods. There's like ten different models with another new one released every month it seems. I feel they are throwing all their resources behind the trendy techno toy of the moment and forgetting that they are supposed to be a computer company. 3. There is one Intel/Mac notebook on the market, and Apple still continues to sell the old IBM chiped ones at the SAME price! Is Jobs that arrogant or does he think the average Apple consumer is THAT uninformed and stupid. I don't know people, I want to like Apple, but their dictatorial arrogance is making it harder and harder every day.

highmarcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Oh I Forgot

:mad: Does anyone find it strange that Apples mega price Cinema Displays only come with a lousy 1 year warranty? Even cheap neophite budget brands like Acer offer 3 year warranties on all of their monitors! Another note to Apple. Dell is now selling a 20" wide screen with BETTER specs than Apples for $460.00 at Sams club (shipping included)! And wait......the best part is, for $300.00 less than the Apple, the Dell comes with a full 3 year warranty! Does anyone smell a rotten apple around here?

Sundance Kid

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2005
Canada
highmarcs said:
:mad: I'm a long...time P.C. user and have to say I'm very pleased with the platform. I use it for audio production and other digital arts. I however NEED to buy a mac because the selfish, little dictatorial company that Apple is refuses to let people use their software on non Apple machines (techno-extorsion). I'm getting into post production, and I need to learn Final Cut Pro. Of course, Mr.Jobs would never think of releasing a Windows version of F.C.P.. Gates offers mac versions of Office but Apple seems to have no interest in playing nice with others. What really pisses me off is that I will have to pay a premium for an Apple box with the same or lesser specs than a p.c.! NOTE to Apple. Compaq has released a lightweight, 14" Intel CORE DUO for only $1350.00! Word is Apple isn't going to offer any CORE DUO's outside of the MacBook Pro line, which means an entry fee of $2000.00. Apple better look like loading those iBooks up with the coreDuo or me and so...many others just aren't going to bother with changing platforms. I'll just learn Avid or Vegas instead of F.C.P.. Changing platforms is going to be a major p.i.a. what with no drivers yet written for more than half of the studio equipment and software that I own, and even then, I'll probably run into a million bugs with everything for the first six months, and...Apple wants to charge me a PREMIUM for this pleasure. Has Jobs lost it! Does he realize what a pain this whole Intel/Mac transition is going to be for consumers. He should be trying to woo us with attractive prices, not sitting up in his ivory tower throwing down ridiculous prices like his machines are the "haute coture" of computerdom. Three more things.
1. MacBook Pro sounds like something from Mac Donalds. 2. What's with all the iPods. There's like ten different models with another new one released every month it seems. I feel they are throwing all their resources behind the trendy techno toy of the moment and forgetting that they are supposed to be a computer company. 3. There is one Intel/Mac notebook on the market, and Apple still continues to sell the old IBM chiped ones at the SAME price! Is Jobs that arrogant or does he think the average Apple consumer is THAT uninformed and stupid. I don't know people, I want to like Apple, but their dictatorial arrogance is making it harder and harder every day.

Yeah, you're right. Everything apple makes is ****, and costs more. In fact the Powerbook i have is a peice of ****, and I wish I talked to you first before buying it! Man, I just blew 2500$ out my @$$.

I KNOW!!! Apple totally brainwashed millions of people to buy their iPod. I am one.

What a ****ing moron. He should really do some research, and more importantly *think* before making such outrageous comments.

An Apple Fag,

Sundance Kid

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The-Muppet-Show--C10088076.jpeg

Good Grief!! The comedian's a bear!!!

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Well, re: Apple displays, yes, they go for a premium, which is why so many people end up buying Dells, Samsungs etc. In defence of Apple, it is my understanding that there are SOME advantages to the ACDs... truer colors being one... I could be wrong though (and is that alone worth the premium? Maybe only if you're a graphic designer or Photoshop user). In any case, personally I'll be looking for a Dell or Samsung.

Wrt. the MacBook vs PCs... it's far more complicated (and yes, it's an awful name). You mention the Compaq... the hp/compaq site seems to be down at the moment, so I can't compare, but in the past, whenever I've done this particular exercise, it transpires that the PC is lacking in some way (heavier, or bigger, or lacks optical, or any number of things), and if it is in fact comparable, then the premium for an Apple is about $300, which in the big scheme of things, considering you get OS X, I don't think of as a big deal, once I'm spending above $1K anyway.

The bigger cost of switching is all the software you have to buy, and that's just a sad reality. Especially when there is software that's great for the PC, but nonexistant for the Mac. And yes, Mac is still the red-headed stepchild when it comes to support for devices.

But I don't think Apple has a choice really. When you only have 3% - 5% marketshare, you don't have the pricing power for components and manufacturing that the PC industry has. In addition, Apple has to develop a platform, an operating system and a whole ecosystem - none of these additional costs exist for dell or hp or PCs in general. So, yes, Apple has fatter margins, but they must have them to finance the entire platform, and they can't go to thin margins because they can't make it up in volume at only 4% of the market. Bottom line, I understand why you're angry, but it really is not greed that's driving Apple (as compared to any other PC company), but market realities.

In the end you have to make a decision for yourself. Nobody says you must go with Apple rather than a PC. It really should depend entirely on your needs. And that'll be different for different folks. For some (f.ex. me :)!) it is worth paying a premium just for aesthetic considerations - I'd find it actually painful to lug around a hideous hp/compaq, no matter how "light", someone else will think that a very shallow or stupid criterion. More importantly, I prefer OS X to XP. And finally, for what I do, I find myself being more productive on a Mac than on a PC - but that's not true for everyone... for film/video editing, well, I'm not going to go for top of the line Avid for a home solution. To me, FCP is a better fit - I'm not saying Vegas or something else is not equally good, but that's a bit individual... depends on how your brain works. So for editing, Mac is it for me. As to audio, well that's a toss-up. There are more choices for hardware when it comes to PCs, but that's not critical. Software is a mixed bag. Some audio apps are better (or only available) for PC, and some are better (or only available) for Mac. I think you can easily live on a Mac working in audio, but I'm not sure there is any advantage to Macs here. In which case, I'd look to my needs versus the investment.

If you are already invested heavily in PCs (hardware AND software), and for your work you don't need some killer feature available only for the Mac platform, I'd seriously consider staying with the PC platform. It really shouldn't be an emotional decision. By the time you set up your home editing or audio station, you will spend serious $$$ - that should be a cold, carefully calculated decision considering bang for the buck. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I love the "dictatorial arrogance" sign off....

Like microsoft haven't been dictating that the general populace have to use a bloated second-hand cludge of an OS for years...

Whatever.

Oh, Macumors does not condone the feeding of large, green, warty, mythical beasts that supposedly live under bridges. We're not particularly fond of gnomes either mind... Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.