Getting to know the Intel Chip Models - and Names

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by law guy, Jan 12, 2006.

1. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

I spent a little time over on Intel's site (www.intel.com) this evening looking at their current processor lines. This is where I learned that the 1.83 GHz mobile duo core is the "T2400" and that there are two versions of the 1.66 GHz mobile duo - a 15 watt lower power version, the L2400 and a 31 watt version, the T2300. While I had seen various 2.0 GHz notebooks announced form IBM, Dell, Acer and HP, I was surprised to see that Intel offers a 31 watt 2.16 GHz version of the mobile duo as well - the T2600. While this was all very interesting (see chart at http://www.intel.com/products/processor/coreduo/specs.htm) (UPDATE: CHART not coming up now - will wait to see if it comes back, same result with direct link from Intel page) it's going to take a little while to adjust to the intel product line - what's in it and what it's called. I suppose we'll likely just call them 1.8 duos, etc.

2. law guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

law guy

Tom's Hardware Roadmap of 20 new Intel Processors Over 8 Quarters - Incl 4 and 8 core

For those wanting to learn more about what lies ahead, the following overview, reporting 20 new Intel processors over the next 8 quarters:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/04/top_secret_intel_processor_plans_uncovered/

I have to say that I like seeing down the road a little further with Intel. The IBM roadmaps never seemed to give much guidence. I did find the PPC announcements being made by Apple to be a bit frustrating. That seemed to end with the dual cores that took awhile to make it into the new G5 PMs, but otherwise, we would all wait with much anticiapation for a MW or WWDC to see what speed the latest PPC was up to.

This also caught my attention:

"The big news for the end of next year will be the first desktop processor product with four physical cores - although these are not going to be on a single die. Kentsfield is expected to hit the market in early or mid 2007. And yes, the code name is intended to be somewhat similar to Smithfield, since the target market segment is the same."

and then this server chip:

"The next chip on Intel's 65 nm menu is Whitefield, a server product with 8 or 16 MB of L2 cache and four Merom architecture type cores on a single piece of silicon. Whitefield has already been around on several Intel roadmaps."

Then things go to a frenzy with 45nm chipsthat the article reports will appear in 2007 and 2008:

"The climax of Intel's move to 45 nm will obviously be processors with as many as eight cores on a die. Technically, the Yorkfield and Harpertown cores are pretty similar, while Yorkfield steps into the desktop space and Harpertown harpoons the enterprise customer. Both will be 45 nm parts, with four cores and as much as 12 MB L2 cache. We can't say how the geometry of this chip is going to be and we suppose Intel is not entirely sure yet either."

3. DVK916 macrumors regular

Apple should have made the Low Volt Duo an option for people in the MacBook. It would have greatly increased battery life.