Getting to work with American Powerbooks overseas

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lighthouseman, Sep 16, 2003.

1. lighthouseman macrumors newbie

Sep 14, 2003
    I have the possibility of getting myself my first mac ever from the USA. I want the new powerbook but I have some questions.
    1. Is it possibile to enable other languages on the American powerbook? I am referring to being able to write in other languages like French.
    2. Does the ac adapter have the setting for 240v or should I buy another one?
    3. Is the warranty extendable overseas?
  2. zvitali macrumors member

Jul 17, 2003
    I am in the same situation as you. I already bought a powerbook and can answer the last two question. AC adapter is universal, so you will only need a plug adapter. Customer service told me that the warranty is international. So if something wrong happens I can call any Apple Center overseas and they will take it for repair. However, they warned me that in some cases the laptop will have to be shipped to US, repaired there and shipped back (all at their expense). So, theoretically, it might take much longer for it to be repaired.
  3. barryishnikov macrumors newbie

Aug 16, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Mac OS X has excellent language support. You can enable many other languages in addition to English. (I am writing an email in Russian in another window while posting this.)
    You can even even change the default language for the OS if you want to.
  4. lighthouseman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 14, 2003
    Thanks guys for the thumbs up! It's going to be a matter of time now before I can get my hands on this piece of relief.
    Exciting stuff. :D
  5. etoiles macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    I did it the other way around, I used a Swiss Powerbook in the US for about two years. Just had to change the power plug. AC adapter, software and modem ran like a charm, no problems there.

However, you might have to use different phone cables depending on where you are in Europe. They look the same but some are cross-over while the others are straight. Just buy a cable locally if you have any problems with dial-up...
  6. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    hi lighthouseman,

I bought a then brand new tiBook when studying in the US, and right now I'm typing this on it while back home in good old Germany... see, no problem.

- I still have warranty till the end of November (Apple gives international warranty on notebooks)

- I just took a elecric-shaver cable and plugged that into the US power-supply, works fine...

- I like the US keyboard better anyways, better layout... I have a spare black Apple pro keyboard that I plug in when I need the German layout (I could also buy a German PB keyboard since you can change it so easily)

and, it was much cheaper :)