Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBrockingBEATS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
im proud to say i have purchased my debut mac computer from the oxford st store last night. and i am a very happy bunny

i have had my ipod for over a yr and have the 20GB limit almost maxed out, however i have been using my brothers windows pc to upload tracks, and now i want to put all of the tracks that are on my ipod onto the itunes of my new pb.

i obvisouly dont want to lose any of these tracks (forever!) by mistake so some clear instructions (for dummies) would be most grateful.

cheers

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
iBrockingBEATS said:
im proud to say i have purchased my debut mac computer from the oxford st store last night. and i am a very happy bunny

i have had my ipod for over a yr and have the 20GB limit almost maxed out, however i have been using my brothers windows pc to upload tracks, and now i want to put all of the tracks that are on my ipod onto the itunes of my new pb.

i obvisouly dont want to lose any of these tracks (forever!) by mistake so some clear instructions (for dummies) would be most grateful.

cheers

I know of 2 options – network to your brothers pc and copy all the music into your itunes music folder on your PB.

or

go to an ipod site like ipodlounge where you can get shareware (for 10-20 bucks i think) which reveals the hidden music folders on your ipod so you can copy them onto your pb.

If your brother lives near to you, I would go for the first option.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
As a newbie to the Mac platform I want to be nice but a word to the wise, in the future use the search function you'll find that this question has been asked a hundred times before.

The best app to transfer songs from your iPod to your PB (beautiful machine isn't it?!:)) is PodWorks but it is shareware. Another perfectly good alternative is ClockWork Apple, which is freeware. Just follow the instructions that accompany the apps.

Hope you keep enjoying your new PB! This forum is a great place to come for advice, just remember the Search button!

Edit: There is no need to reformat your Windows iPod to a Mac iPod. The Mac being a Mac can handle both formats perfectly well, and PodWorks will still allow you to import songs (not sure about ClockWork Apple). I actually prefer to keep my iPod formatted as a Windows iPod, even though I use it exclusively with iTunes on my Macs, just so I can use it as a portable hard disk compatible between Windows and Macs.

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
an alternative method is to set up your ipod for disk use, use a program like OnyX to show hidden files and then pull the files off your ipod manually.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
if the music is still on your brother's computer, just clear the iPod, copy those files into the iPod under the disk mode, copy over to your new PB. then erase those files on the iPod and sync back from the PB.

no shareware or other apps necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.