getting very old documents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cloudgazer, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Hi, i posted the same question in another forum, but only got 1 response.
    So, i'll try here.
    Once upon a time i had a powerbook 170 (circa 1993) running OS 7+.
    i backed up all my word ddoccuments to floppy disks and they've been sitting in storage ever since.
    I recently purchased a new G4 powerbook. Obviously it doesn't have the old disk drives.
    Before I purchase a USB drive simply to look at these filees, will OSX read these documents?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It really depends on what sort of documents you have. Are they Word and Excel files? OSX can use floppy disk drives (maybe check for compatibility with the seller before purchase for individual brands though) but if there is no equivalent program in OSX that can read these files then maybe it's really not worth it. I'm almost certain Office recognises pretty much all of its previous versions, albeit you may lose formatting etc. :(

Of course, don't quote me on any of this.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not hard. Get one of the USB floppy drives sold by the Apple Store, Mac-centric mailorder catalogs, or Mac-centric websites. Yedata's drive is advertised to be completely compatible with both 800 KB and 1.44 MB floppies. SmartDisk's drive is advertised to be compatible only with 1.44 MB floppies.

4. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Thanks for the tips.
    maybe i should take one of the disks with me to the store and only purchase the drive if it can read the disks.
    Quite a mission just to see whats one 10 or so old disks.
    But it must be done.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

10 floppies? Max. 14 Mb of data?? Piece of cake.

Now you want a mission, try 100 floppies, 10 128 Mb optical disks and assorted unidentified backup tapes of mutually incompatible formats...

For 10 floppies, I would simply find someone with a Quadra, PowerMac 68040 or Beige G3 who has a CD burner, and transfer all 10 floppies lock, stock and barrel to a CD. Should take maybe an hour, tops. Then once you have the CD, you can go through the documents at leisure to sort for 1) desirability and 2) Application type.

6. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Yeah, sounds good. Pity I don't know too many people with macs. Certainly no one I know. the only macs i've seen with floppies ddon't work any more.
    I have posted a few requests for help in some local forums. but so far no joy.

7. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

They've been in storage for how long? I have a TON of floppies that have been sitting in m bedroom that are no longer readable. They've only been there since around 97-98-99... so.. i would have to say you might be outta luck. Hopefully they survived though.

8. California macrumors 68040

California

Uh, I have a floppy from 1989 that is readable!

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That being the point -- floppies are very random in their ability to retain data. Don't trust'em. Zip cartridges neither -- they're just big floppies.

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Do you have a model number or a link? All the floppy drives on Y-E Data's website have notices specifically saying that 800 K floppies are not supported. The only way I've been able to find to read 800 K floppies in a new computer is to buy a Catweasel controller card for around $100.