getting xbox controller to work with halo for mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by biohazard6969, Jul 14, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok, so i bought the cable that allows you to hook up your xbox controller to your mac, i also installed the driver for it and purchased that. i opened halo, it recognises that i have the xbox type s controller and i set all the controls to the way i wanted them. i started to play and the movement and especially the looking is all off. it will go all over the place on its own as if i was moving it but i'm not touching it. i KNOW it has to do with sensitivity, i took down the sensitivity for the verticla and horizontal looking in halo but it still didn't help

if anyone has done this befoer i would really appreciate help

the problem is that i want it to perform somewhat like it would on the xbox, but its nowhere near that

i guess what i'm asking is that is there a way to make the deadzone for the looking pitch and movement sticks smaller? i think that would solve the problem....or would it be bigger....?

2. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok, figured out the dead zone. that didn't help. i think what it is doing is that when i move the thumbsticks, it will move the player in the game but it won't STOP, it will just keep going. like if i move the right thumbstick right then my vision will go around in circles to the right and never stop

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Cool, I did not know that I could use my Xbox controllers on my Mac (with the adapter). Do you have a link or know where I could buy one?

4. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Actually, X-Box controllers basically just use a USB cable with a differently shaped connector. If you are willing to sacrifice the controller's X-Box functionality, or you have an extra breakaway end (I got one free from a friend, but I'd think it'd be cheaper than a real adapter if you eBay it), you can open the cables up and solder the controller wires with those in the USB cable and make your own Mac and PC compatible controller. It's even color-coded; just match the four color USB wires to the four matching colored wires in the X-Box controller, ignoring the fifth wire in the controller (pretty sure its just an extra ground, but its unnecessary in any case). You can get an OS X driver here: http://homepage.mac.com/walisser/xboxhiddriver/

Otherwise, www.liksang.com carries USB adapters for almost any major console gamepad, including X-Box.

5. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

yea that site ships it all the way from china :eek: but its still pretty cheap......i accidentally ordered two and don't want to pay to send the other one back, so i was wonderin if i could hook 2 xbox controllers up and do a multiplayer halo? i doubt this is possible, but it was worth asking

6. wangahrah macrumors newbie

Halo doesn't support co-op on PC, or multiplayer on a single PC. But you can always use the other one for multiplayer Tony Hawk or something like that ;)

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007