Getting XP to share with my Mac (through Belkin hub)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 7on, Dec 9, 2003.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

My PC is pingable from my Mac.

I can turn on Windows Sharing on my Mac and get on it form the PC

I CAN'T access Win XP from Mac OSX 10.3.1!

Oh it can find it I know, because I'm not getting any -36 errors. I can also connect to other WinXPs (not mine, others on the campus network) from my mac as well. iTunes works on Windows and I see the playlist on my Mac. However, whenever I try to connect I get this:

http://www2.truman.edu/~jps137/web/namepassword.jpg

The thing I don't get is that my login name on the PC and on the Mac is exactly the same. So even if it decided to use my login info from my machine it should work. It never gives me the Login:password:Workgroup prompt either. Both computers are on the same workgroup. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Note: I did get my Mac to connect to XP by using wlan, but was hoping to get the wired solution fully functional.

2. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

UPDATE: Fixed

Turned out I needed Win2000

:)

---and a restart between permission changes on the PC.

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Sorry I didn't get to this earlier, but XP will work.

When sharing a folder on XP, and want anyone in the world to get to it, you need to enable the guest account.

However, mine does prompt for username and password, and I've seen that if the username is the same on both machines, it won't prompt. The problem with the authentication is that the source isn't the same. For example, every Windows authentication happens with username, password, and domain/machine. So your Mac was trying to login with Mac as the machine name and the XP machine didn't like that.