Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Sorry if a similar thread already exists. I just wanted to say that the Gevey Ultra S for iPhone 4S works as advertised and I recommend buying it. The only disappointing part is the inability to update the firmware and retain the unlock, but that was also advertised.

To anyone who buys it, you'll need to install your carriers APN (can be found from 3rd party websites if needed) to get 3G working, but otherwise it is plug and play.

Also, I've found activating FaceTime is easier than activating iMessage and activating one will activate the other. The only problem I have so far is that there is no option for tethering (any thoughts macrumors members?) and there is the occasional reminder it is an American phone (use of cellular instead of mobile and occasional American number formatting) throughout the OS.

Hope that helps anyone looking at buying it. Just wait for the price to come down a bit more before you do.. It's currently at $39.99 down from $59.99 and will probably go down some more.

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
thanx for the review...

wonder if you, or anyone use the ultra for iphone 4? it's 19.99 on their website...

but judging from your good experience, the one for the i4 should also works!

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
thanx for the review...

wonder if you, or anyone use the ultra for iphone 4? it's 19.99 on their website...

I have never used it so forgive me if I am wrong, but I have heard good things. It's why I was willing to test the ultra s.

It only works with ATT iPhone right?

As far as I am aware, yes it only unlocks AT&T locked phones, as most other carriers will unlock for legitimate reasons unlike AT&T (stupid AT&T!). Your best bet though is to send an email to Applenberry and ask them directly to be sure.

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I've purchased a few of the Gevey Ultras for the iPhone 4 from Applenberry and they work great for an untethered unlock. I've had no issues with them, unlike the cheaper clones.

I also believe the 4S Ultra works for all 4S iphones on 5.0.1, not just AT&T.
Just requires a few additional steps if the phone is not AT&T.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Awesome to hear!

I also see them on craigslist for $29 or so, but i guess in this case its better to buy direct.

It just stinks that every time there is a software update, you need to buy a new card.

Luckily I do not have any overseas trips planned right now, but I would take the plunge for one.

DanielMyst777

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
Does the Gevey Ultra S work for the regular iP4 too? I'm curious because the Ultra S boasts improved signal and battery life.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Does the Gevey Ultra S work for the regular iP4 too? I'm curious because the Ultra S boasts improved signal and battery life.

I'm very interested to know this as well. Can someone confirm and check to know if this works for the IP4 please?

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
It just stinks that every time there is a software update, you need to buy a new card.

Yeh, it would be great if it would work with a preserved baseband, bad sadly it is baseband AND firmware dependent.

No, just for the iP4S AFAIK.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
****** This is the new gevey ultra s sim that does work for 5.1 (newest)

Q: Are you selling the real gevey ultra S?
A: Yes we only carry 100% authentic gevey products. I've been known for selling legit Gevey products since the release of the original Gevey (for the iPhone 3g) and Gevey ultra for the iPhone 4 I know never to touch fake gevey sims as they usually do not work at all and I would not risk my reputation to make a few quick bucks. As you can see from the listing the packaging is different from what most people carry on ebay, because most are selling the fake Gevey ultra s. Gevey usually revises packaging just before release date to curve counterfeit sim cards.

Q: How can you sell it for so much cheaper than applenberry?
A: My company is operated by me and a friend (both college students) so our operating costs are extremely low.

Q: When can you ship
A: We can ship as soon as today as we already have the geveys on hand.

GEVEY™ True Plug-and-Play Unlocking SIM Interposer
No Need to Dial International Emergency Number 112
Untethered Unlock with no Jailbreak Required
Compatible with all GSM iPhone 4S SIM Cards
Complete Unlock with all 2G and 3G data services
No SIM Card Cutting or Physical Modifications
Works on iOS 5.0, 5.0.1,5.1
Works on Baseband 1.0.11, 1.013, 1.0.14, 2.0.10
Guaranteed Better Reception than Previous
Decreased Power Consumption
supermaxstore.com
http://www.supermaxstore.com/genuin...k-turbo-sim-card-for-iphone-4s-ios-5-0-1.html
please remove the that dot and replace .com
use keyword gevey ultra sim

Super,

Will this work with a sprint or vZw iPhone 4s?

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
thanx for the review...

yea it works amazingly, plus you can get FuriousMod for iOS 4-5.0.1 and it will become an "untethered" unlocked

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Does MMS work and 3g?

Yes, I answered that in my OP, but to reiterate, you will need to install the carriers APN through a 3rd party website. Both work fine once you have installed the APN and restarted (or just turned airplane mode on and off).

Mrlal8

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
What do you mean by APN? I have digicel in St Kitts/Nevis. Will the gevey sim work for me and will I be able to use their network?

salomon007

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2012
Gevey Ultra s for iphone 4s 5.1 Firmware 1.6

hello iPhone unlock people
i see that iPhone 5.01 is not compatible 5.1
you need order the new AppleNberry version firmware call 1.6 this new release
i order from supermaxstore.com i paid $29.95 is great company and offer free shipping
after 2 days i receive the order for new gevey for iPhone 5.1 update
i love to share this information thank you
Happy Holidays

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
What do you mean by APN? I have digicel in St Kitts/Nevis. Will the gevey sim work for me and will I be able to use their network?

Apparently you can use wap.digicelskna.com in your settings, no vpn or other details apparently. I googled for this. This thread was a review thread, not a support thread. Ask applenberry for more help if needed, or post a new thread as your likely to get more responses that way.

hello iPhone unlock people
i see that iPhone 5.01 is not compatible 5.1
you need order the new AppleNberry version firmware call 1.6 this new release
i order from supermaxstore.com i paid $29.95 is great company and offer free shipping
after 2 days i receive the order for new gevey for iPhone 5.1 update
i love to share this information thank you
Happy Holidays

No disrespect to you or your business, but I personally would recommend people buy the latest sim unlock direct from Applenberry. It's worth the extra money to know you are getting a genuine product, and if money is a problem, the price normally comes down after a while if you are willing to wait like we did. Delivery time to Australia was within a couple of business days.

NameTheUser

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
Europe, Estonia
Actually, there is one negative side of this Gevey sim. It won't unlock iPhones that have been put to the ''Black List'' (It means that it won't work with any carriers)

Gatecrasher3

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
does anyone know if you can update a iPhone 4 using the Gevey Ultra to 5.1?
I thought I remember reading that 5.0.1 was the highest you can go using the Gevey Ultra on a iPhone 4.

Thanks.

LeroyB

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Sprint iPhone 4S unlocked to AT&T

I used the new Gevey Ultra S to unlock my Sprint iPhone 4S for use with AT&T.

Everything worked GREAT and easy, but I'm having the following problems. I've found T-Mobile solutions but no one is posting solutions for AT&T and I don't want to screw up the phone.

iMessage & FaceTime not registering # ... only works with @mac.com e-mail

MMS does not work, so I can't send or receive picture messages outside of iMessage

Any help would be appreciated.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Everything worked GREAT and easy, but I'm having the following problems. I've found T-Mobile solutions but no one is posting solutions for AT&T and I don't want to screw up the phone.

MMS does not work, so I can't send or receive picture messages outside of iMessage

FaceTime and iMessage must get registered via a code that is sent from the phone. Unfortunately, T-Moble "sees" the code as an International SMS and sends it that way.

You need to Google for the APN settings for T-Mobile to correct the MMS errors.

LeroyB

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
FaceTime and iMessage must get registered via a code that is sent from the phone. Unfortunately, T-Moble "sees" the code as an International SMS and sends it that way.

You need to Google for the APN settings for T-Mobile to correct the MMS errors.

You misunderstood, I'm on AT&T not T-Mobile. I do receive a text from an international number when trying to activate, but have no idea if I need to send a response or what it would include.

Thanks again for any help.

LeroyB

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012

Update!:
iMessage and FaceTime via phone number still not working but

MMS works now, I used TetherMe and changed the MMS APN info to cingular wireless I found on an Android site:
Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:CINGULAR1
Server: leave blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN Type: leave blank

johnnyspawn

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
gevey ultra S on iphone 4s 5.1... text problem :(

i just have my locked iphone 4s ATT. And so i tried to use this gevey ultra S sim. after i installed it. everything was fine. it was easy actually. i tried to call my friend and surf on it and it works ok. But unfortunately i cannot do outgoing text. i can recieved text and call but not able to reply. i tried to call tmo if they can do anything about it but nothing. so can anybody help em here?. is it my phone or my sim?.. thanks... :)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
i just have my locked iphone 4s ATT. And so i tried to use this gevey ultra S sim. after i installed it. everything was fine. it was easy actually. i tried to call my friend and surf on it and it works ok. But unfortunately i cannot do outgoing text. i can recieved text and call but not able to reply. i tried to call tmo if they can do anything about it but nothing. so can anybody help em here?. is it my phone or my sim?.. thanks... :)

If you are using it on T-Mobile, you have to enter the APN settings for T-Mobile.
You have to Google for them.
Also, if the settings are hidden (which they usually are) you will have to buy TetherMe from Cydia to expose them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.