'Ghost Emails' From 1969 and 1970 Receiving Renewed Attention

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the recent January 1, 1970 iPhone bricking bug, a different long-standing issue related to Unix time and emails is gaining renewed attention, as highlighted by The Telegraph.

The non-malicious glitch has been gaining new traction online recently, with some iOS users sharing screenshots of their devices receiving emails from December 31, 1969 or January 1, 1970. The glitch has been reported by users on both iPhone and iPad as well as Android devices, with those users noting that the messages in question have no content, subject line, or sender, and can not be interacted with.

[​IMG]
    The ghost email issue has been reported for many years, and rather than a harmful attempt to infiltrate an iOS device -- or lead users down a path to the January 1, 1970 bug -- it is simply a misrepresentation of the correct status of Unix time. Some cases of the ghost email are showing up when users are traveling to a different time zone, temporarily causing a glitch in communications between mail servers and a few email clients, including the stock iOS Mail app and even Microsoft's Outlook iOS app.
    With the issue causing emails to show up with timestamps of midnight GMT on January 1, 1970, users in the Western Hemisphere see dates of December 31, 1969 on their ghost emails due to timezone offsets.

The issue can sometimes be fixed by simply closing the email app and reopening, while others have found success with subsequently performing a hard reset on the device (pressing down the Home and lock buttons until the iPhone or iPad restarts). The more notable January 1, 1970 date bug bricked iPhones with a date manually set to May 1970 or earlier, and Apple will be fixing the issue with its forthcoming iOS 9.3 update. In comparison, the ghost email reports -- which include a long list of affected users -- are simply a nuisance.

Article Link: 'Ghost Emails' From 1969 and 1970 Receiving Renewed Attention

2. guzhogi macrumors 68020

guzhogi

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

So are they actual emails I'm receiving and can't see because of the glitch? I have this issue from time to time and never thought I was actually missing emails because of it, but this article implies that I am.

4. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Maybe time-travellers are trying to contact us?

5. Chuck Kostalnick macrumors demi-god

Chuck Kostalnick

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

— Doug Gwyn

6. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I used to get text messages like this, the most recent one was about 6 months ago, but they seem to have stopped since.

8. jonnysods macrumors 68040

jonnysods

Haha that's so fun, I wouldn't be complaining!

9. dBeats macrumors 6502a

dBeats

I dunno, I'm keeping my tin foil hat on until further notice. :rolleyes:

10. WBRacing macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

11. arubinst macrumors 6502

I just got home after a long day at work and, for some reason, I can't stop laughing at your post.

Thank you for that! :)

12. JarScott macrumors 68030

JarScott

Had this exact email pop up a couple times. Always wondered what that was about. I like the idea someone else had, time travellers are trying to get our attention.

13. Mrjoedot macrumors member

Could be the new Ghostbuster promo but things went wrong when they changed the original casts to female

14. goobot macrumors 601

goobot

I've had this happen on a few different occasions.

15. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

16. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Just the ghost of Steve trying to tell you you're holding it wrong. But it's hard to interface with the IT systems used in the afterlife.

17. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I get these occasionally. They just appear. A PITA too...

18. DavisEngeler macrumors member

DavisEngeler

The next time it happens, check your inbox from the computer if possible to see if there's an actual email there.

19. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Wait they're making a new one?

This'll probably be yet another movie that exists solely because it'll make a crapton of money due to the fans of the old movie getting their hopes up for another Ghostbusters movie only to be horribly disappointed by it because no thought went into the movie.

20. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

probably the FBI sending emails to our phones via time-traveling agents in a way to gain access to the backdoor.

21. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Soooooo..... Alternat Men in Black story?

22. ncbetz macrumors regular

ncbetz

I have photos like this. Like, in the photos app it claims it was taken in 1970.

23. pat500000 macrumors 68040

pat500000

It's unfinished business...someone from the past is making contact with us...to fight off FBI.

--- Post Merged, Mar 7, 2016 ---
    real cute.........

and i laughed.

24. philstubbington macrumors member

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago - when trying to add a new email account. The ghost emails appeared on a different account though. Very odd. Disappeared after a cold boot.