Ghost recon

Discussion in 'Games' started by maradong, Mar 7, 2003.

1. maradong macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    just would like to know whether ghost recon will run on a powerbook g4 with one gig of ram.
    Perhaps a stupid question but i m coming right out of the windows world, where laptops are just good enough to play tetris on.

What about return to castle wolfenstein
    medal of honnor?
  2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Re: Ghost recon

More stats needed... Which model... powerbook what MHZ...? :D
    If you have a gig of ram then you probably have a newer model so I say yes, not extremly well but your gonna get good FPS. not choppy on mid settings.
  3. britboy macrumors 68030

Nov 4, 2001
    Kent, UK
    As long as you're not going to be using the first rev Powerbook G4 (400-500MHz), you'll be able to play those games you mention. They require a minimum of 16 Mb VRAM, which all tibooks, bar the first model, have.
  4. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2003
    An eMac w/ 384 megs of ram handles it no sweat. My dual 1ghz with1.5 gigs of ram is only slightly better.
  5. DisgruntledArch macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2003
    system reqs.

I have a 600mhz ibook with the ATI rage mobility, and GR is fairly playable; some of the Desert Siege maps are choppy, but overall, GR runs a lot smoother than Nobody Lives Forever or Sin, and my comp actually meets all of the system requirements for those game. I'd recommend GR to anyone with a lower-end system who's looking for a new FPS.

Still planning on getting the powermac with the ATI 9700 when it arrives, though. Just because I can play 640x480/16 with 20something FPS doesn't mean I WANT to.
  6. Jeffx342 macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2002
    North Andover
    Well, I have a 1ghz 15" Powerbook Ti with 1 gig sd ram and Radeon 9000 Mobility on OS X 10.2.4 and I can run every game I have with graphics maxed out (excluding anti-aliasing) with a high fps. If you have a model that is even a year old you shouldn't have any problem with that much ram.

Currently playing - Black and White, Jedi Outcast, Solider of Fortune 2, Metal of Honor: Allied Assault, and Warcraft 3.:D
  7. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2002
    will I be ok with an 800mhz g4 and 768 mb sd ram? i have the nvidia geforce 2 mx and I plan on getting it tomorrow, so please hurry.
  8. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    yeah, you should be fine.

you may have to turn down the gfx options a bit, but you'll be able to run it nicely.

pretty much the only thing holding you down is the internal geforce card.
  9. maradong thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    im planning of buying the g4 powerbook with 1 ghz and one gig of ddr ram.
    i m asking because in the pc world it s not possible to play anything like that on a notebook.
    soon i wikll be a switcher. :)
  10. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2001
    it should

its running great on my BWG3 with a 7410 600MHZ G4 and the voodoo 64MB 5500 in the PCI slot run and looks great with 4XFSAA activated high quality 640X480 32bit. SO it should run good on yours unless you only have 8MB graphics
  11. Haberdasher macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I play LAN with the Ghost Recon demo (Yeah, yeah...not the real thing, but I'm broke) on a 400mhz G3, 8mb VRAM. All details as low as possible, and it runs fine if you ask me!

On my main machine though, everything maxed is great :)
  12. Riko19 macrumors member

Mar 5, 2003
    Warrington UK
    well here we go (gloats) i will be getting the gourgeus powerbook G4 1Ghz with 1gig DDR RAM and it will fly! due to playing it on my mates 17"er but i will play it on my nice old 23"er believe me if its the latest powerbook and is a 17"er you will have great gaming experience on a great operating system.

No worries.:cool:
  13. pandrus macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2003
    Ghost Recon and Panther

I have a new Al Book and Panther.

Ghost Recon is really sketchy compared with my trusty ol TiBook.

Any Thoughts?

14. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2003
    It should run fine although you will probably will want to turn down a few of the graphical settings. The processor and the 1GB of ram you plan on ordering should be enough.
  15. neonart macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    This game will run fine if settings are turned down to match your hardware. Usually this is not too bad on newer machines. I have it on my 12" 1Ghz Book (512MB, FX5200) and my Dual 1.25 (2GB, R9800) and my wife's iMac G4800 (512MB, MX2). The powerbook runs it good, the Dual very good and the iMac just playable.
    On the grfx setting you should always turn off shadows for better rates. And if you edit the options.xml file to reduce the amount of texture mipmap this makes a huge difference. Here's how:,92558,
    Some machines, like my wife's iMac, just cant do texture Mipmap. The FPS goes down to single digits.
    It's still not a great game for high FPS, which is why I'm upgrading to a G5 in Jan. On any G3 or G4 you WILL have maps that drop into the teens or low 20's from time to time. Still playable, but not totally smooth.
  16. Shekky_ca macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2003
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    You Should be better then fine I run Ghost Recon on my iMac G3 350 mhz 320 megs of ram 8 meg video Card

There is only a few maps that run super slow on my computer...
  17. neonart macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    One thing to remember is that alot of guys turn down the resolution for better speed on slower machines, which is no problem on CRT's. On LCD's lowering screen res below the native setting makes the game look fuzzy.
    So this is a trick to faster gaming, but if you want a sharp picture, keep the setting native.
  18. Mr. Andrup macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2004
    I've got the 'new' G4 powerbook, 1.25 MhZ and I've got no problems running Ghost Recon in almost full resolution and maximum details.
    I've tried RTCW and Jedi Outcast as well and they're both running smooth.

I guess you'll be allright!