Ghost Town: my rides through chernobyl area

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Mar 27, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

This is an incredible photographic journal of a girl who rides her motorbike into the restricted area of Chernobyl... some astonishing imagery.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

Lover her dry humour though...

:p :p :p

It really must be incredible to experience.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow wow wow! That's just freaky!

So much weird stuff and quite sad.

The Election House was an interesting look into 1980's politics of Russia "It's was quite boring to go on ellection where one could only vote for one candidate and for one party. People haven't been coming. Then, in order to bring people on ellections, authorities arranged free drinks."

D

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i hope some pro-nuclear-plant people look at those pictures and change their mind....

perhaps the biggest natural disaster brought about the world made by mankind... if i think about those thousands of workers which sacrified their lives as "liquidators" which decontimined everything,build the sarkophag to save million other lives.....

i wished people in other countries would have voted against nuclear plants too....

4. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Thanks for posting this. It's the most impressing thing I've seen on the Internet in a long while...

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Amazing. All of the signs that are still hanging are really eerie.

6. evil macrumors 6502

7. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    I looked at every single picture in awe and horror...really brings home what went on over there. Thank you for posting this most interesting link.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wow, very haunting.... excellent read, excellent link

9. szark macrumors 68030

szark

The pictures made me imagine what it must have been like to be there on that day. What a nightmare it must have been.

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Nuclear power is actually quite safe, when properly maintained with a trained staff. The only major catastrophe's, Chernobyl, and Three Mile Island, were results of human error. In the case of Three Mile Island, if human's hadn't intervened, the computer system would've fixed the small problem (something with a cooling pipe), and nothing would've happened there.

This was a horrible, accident, though, and serves as a chilling reminder what could happen if things were to go wrong.

11. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

WOW, thanks for the link, it sent chills down my spine

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

quite safe ?
    when i look at that list: http://www.anti-atom.de/stor2002.htm
    (which lists up all errors in _german_ nuclear plants in the year 2002 only).. i guess they are not safe enough
    the nuclear plant in Temelin had errors even before it got activated ..
    :rolleyes:
    sure they're safe if the crews work good
    ...but _one_ mistake could have consequences like 1986 (where a "mistake" happened in the control room) which would killed lots of innocences

and it costs ten times more to deconstruct an old nuclear plant ..than to built it...
    perhaps "quite safe" is enough for you, but for me and more than 80% of austria (gone up from 50% before chernobyl) it is not safe enough...

13. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Well, when it's used properly, and the proper safety measures are taken, it can be safe. The US Navy has been using nuclear reactors for quite some time in extreme environments (submarines, aircraft carriers), and they have had no serious problems, because they maintain their equipment, and have a well trained staff on hand to ensure everything works properly. Just because some countries can't reliably maintain nuclear facilities doesn't mean that they're unsafe for everyone. You just have to make sure that you don't let the plants deteriorate, and you keep them well maintained and properly staffed.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The Navy has the resources that private enterprises don't.

Or won't pay for because it decreases profits.

Driving an automobile, when the proper safety measures are taken, is actually quite safe too. The problem is in Murphy's law and the exponentially different levels of devastation.

I was a fetus in Marietta at the time of the TMI core meltdown.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i found another interesting link which list up most importing accidents with nuclear material etc.involved
    http://www.nuclearfiles.org/hitimeline/nwa/index.html
    just click through the years...you will find that there are _a lot_ of accidents

very interesting read, just found it...

but i have to agree with that the US navy do a really good work about the maintance and keep their nuclear reactors rather save compared to some nuclear powerplants in civil life

i hope something is done about the russian navy ...those rusting nuclear subs lying around aren't very good for the envirment

16. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I think the problem is the balance between risk and the outcome IF something goes wrong. You will sure agree that there is nothing which is 100 % safe. If planes are the safest way to travel, it doesn´t mean planes don´t crash. Macs can crash, too. :p
    I am well educated about nuclear technology by my former physics teacher (has been working at NASA for some time, decided to go back to Germany teaching ;) ) that this technology is VERY safe. I sure do trust those guys, they know it better than me (thank God). The only problem is, IF something goes wrong, and something like Chernobyl is happening, you see the outcome - 900 years and more of... *nothing* in a radius of many many miles.

We need to find a technology which has not the ability to wipe out regions if something goes wrong. Nuclear power HAS to be replaced sooner or later I say - until then, we all have to live with it and trust the people in charge and pray that nothing happens.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Nuclear Power can be just fine if done right, I was on a nuke and we had good people and a good system. The problem is when you have a poor sytem with poor management and poor people running it. How many accidents have the russians had? they had them on their subs and in Plants like Chernobyl. What I dont understand is why we have forgot about Solar,Wind, Geothermal and other clean sources of power. Seams like we are even more addicted to oil then we were in the 70s. We need to have Govt pushing clean power instead of pushing oil like George seems to be doing. Nuclear can be clean and safe but Solar, Wind & Geothermal seem to be the way. Its just to bad that the oil companies have our Govt in their pocket. As Long as Big Business have the George Bush's of the world we can forget any real push for clean green energy.

18. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Fun site. This is the best line:

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Thank you for the link iGav. Very interesting. I will pass it along to others. Thanks again.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm glad I know the Cyrillic alphabet. I saw "Pripyat" in one of the photos and it reminded me of this site:

link

21. Opteron macrumors 6502

Would make a great film set, and no doubt a grat documentry one day.

It's so obvious that we live such sheltered lives here in the west. cheers for posting iGav.

I think I'll have to go there one day.

22. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Wrong. It's the people that saved 3 mile island. The computer is what messed up. The reactor started having pressure problems. So the computer opened a valve on the main pressure chamber to vent some of the pressure out. Nothing to cause alarm. However the valve stuck open, spewing coolant everywhere inside the chamber, not allowing it to get to the reactor. I forget what the experts did to save it in the end, but I remember it was some darring move that was opposite of what all the readings told them to do.

23. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Does any one know what kind of readings thoes are on the thing she is carring?

never mind, maybe I should have read the captions. :rolleyes:

24. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Very good photojournalism, its amazing to see how the land looks almost 20 years later, its quite amazing.

25. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Thats is truly amazing and very interesting. It must be pretty erie walking through a ghost city.