Ghost Yacht...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AlBDamned, Apr 20, 2007.

1. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Man this is weird!

Everything was running, laptop, engine etc, there was food on the table, all the lifejackets were there, but one sail was badly shredded.

Sea monsters perhaps?!

2. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That is very strange. :confused:

3. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I had some REALLY bad gas.

4. thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah it is. It reminds me of a film but I can't quite remember what. Maybe it's a mix of that one with Billy Zane, Nicole Kidman and Sam Neill (Dead Calm?) mixed with that one about the cruise liner where all the people get eaten by sea monsters and some pirates come and find it empty...

Would be pretty creepy if you were on of the "rescuers" and you found it empty.

5. macrumors 603

iSaint

That's a good movie. I love to read sailing stories and mysteries. This is freaky, but you never know what mother ocean throws at you.

6. macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Yeah, quite likely they fell overboard perhaps?

7. macrumors 65816

faintember

That is pretty crazy.

I would not doubt it happened similar to a boating accident one of my friends died in when I was younger. That is, a younger person falls off the boat and a adult jumps in an attempt to help the child, then ends up in trouble, then the other adult jumps in, etc. Even if there was no child on board I could see this happening even with an adult, and it would explain why everything was running yet abandoned.

Can a sail be torn if the boat was left unattended in the ocean over a few days? Seems that the wind might be able to do such?

8. macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sharks?

Maybe they were having a swim before dinner, dove in the water and got gobbled up before they could return. As Faintember mentioned, maybe one person was attacked, then the others tried to rescue and were attacked as well.

9. macrumors G3

A giant octopus plucked them off the deck one by one and gobbled them up. :cool:

Or...

More likely a rogue wave... (something like that judging by the sail) that washed them off decks. ;)

10. macrumors 603

iSaint

I wonder what the weather conditions were over the past 48 hours? I don't think the article said anything about that.

11. macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Maybe faintember had it right,

I've seen it at Myrtle Beach on more than a few occasions where a child will get too far out (riptide, whatever), and her uncle went out to save her, he ends up needing help, his brother jumps in to save them both, and someone else goes in to try and save them, and no one survived :(

Three person yacht, so Possibly two of them were out swimming while the third one was setting up dinner, they start to struggle and the third tries to save them and falls over board.
    It would be more than creepy to get on a boat and find everything as if there was someone living on it (eg, computers running, dinner set out and waiting, lights on, nobody home)
    Maybe they can figure out how long the boat had been empty using the food that was set out for dinner? :confused:

12. macrumors G3

Rogue waves can appear completely out of nowhere on a calm day, it doesn't have to be stormy for example.

I don't think it was a particularly large rogue wave, but probably if not certainly large enough to wash them off the deck whilst keeping damage to the yacht to an indiscernible minimum e.g. the torn sail.

13. thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

The sail was shredded though, they just had video of it on the news here. Would a rogue wave do that? I have no idea to be honest. If it was just the boat with no damage, I'd be inclined to think that someone had got into difficulties and they'd all gone overboard, but the sail makes it very strange.

14. macrumors G3

I'd certainly consider it to be possible, depends on the size and the force of the wave that caught it and how the sail was rigged at the time.

As you say, it's the sail that makes it strange, which leads me to believe it's not just someone or other falling overboard and the others going to help, but something else entirely.

It's could of course been caused by a freak gust of wind, though one would've thought meteorological data could prove (or disprove that).

I was only half joking about the Giant Octopus too... though it would've more likely been a Giant or Colossal Squid.

15. thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

From the looks of it and your point about the rigging I reckon the most non-sea monster explanation could well be wind or a freak gust of wind specifically.

16. macrumors G4

Which sail was shredded? Could it have been a case of the crew trying to rescue the sail when the boom suddenly swung and knocked all three overboard?

EDIT : Now watched the video. So much for that theory :rolleyes:

17. macrumors Core

odd. and it must've been erie to be one of the rescue crew.

18. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Weird.

How about pirates? No blood. But maybe they surprised the crew?

The other suggestion of one person being in trouble and the others trying to help and they all get into trouble may make the most sense -- especially considering the condition of the boat.

The sail being shredded is hard to explain.

19. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

If it was pirates, then I suspect they would have looted the boat too – equipment and stuff like the laptop were left untouched.

It was obviously aliens – it's the only explanation. ;)

20. macrumors 6502a

johnee

OH MY GOD!!!

WHERE IS MAD JEW????

oh the humanity!!!!! :eek:

21. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Whatever the explanation you want to give, the condition of that sail is weird. I don't know what would tear a sail like that, but it must have been quick, Australian, and quasi-jewish.

22. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Unless they were after one or more members of the crew for whatever reason. Drugs could be involved.

Actually, this is probably the best explanation so far! ;)

23. macrumors 68030

joepunk

Reminds me of a history program i saw on tv about an abandoned sailing ship found in the 1800's. Everything was in its place but the crew were not onboard. Logbooks mentioning nothing about the whereabouts of the crew.

24. macrumors 6502a

camomac

Solved.

Pirates need laptops, everybody knows aliens don't.

:D

25. Moderator emeritus

yellow

NAMBLA members faking their own death to start a new life elsewheres?