Ghosting/Burn-in issue with new alu displays

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by blutfink, Aug 26, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Don't know if there is another thread about this issue in the MR forums. Couldn't find any.

My brandnew 23" Alu Cinema Display shows a really annoying effect. If I move a finder window (on a dark desktop background) that hadn't been moved for a while, a "ghost" window stays in place -- for several minutes. :(

I know of at least three threads on this topic on Apple's discussion boards.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?50@247.aYYNaYXmuRj.1@.689928d1

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@247.aYYNaYXmuRj.1@.6897b945/15

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@247.aYYNaYXmuRj.1@.6897b945/8

Does anybody not have that problem?

[Update: It does not happen with a totally black background! Try a dark (25%) grey. I'm still experimenting.]

2. macrumors 601

stoid

From what I've heard the new Apple monitors have little or no ghosting. What you have sounds pretty serious. You may have gotten a lemon. Give Apple a call and they will probably replace it for free.

3. macrumors 68000

A few people have reported this issue on the Apple boards.

Call Apple and get a new one.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not just my panel

I hate to say this, but today I was able to reproduce the error on two other 23" HD Cinema Display panels in two different shops. In both cases I reported this issue to the staff and they were quite shocked. So I'm quite confident now that this is a more general issue with the new panels, and I wonder if Apple is aware of the problem. I have yet to try it on a 20".

That is really disappointing. Well, the effect is weak. But at this price point, it's unacceptable. :mad:

5. macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Maybe it's certain people that use it. I mean, if it didn't happen before in those shops, maybe you (and those other peole on Apple's board) are cursed.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

But are the panels now cursed, too? And does that qualify for Apple Care? :D

Well... I encourage everyone to try it out themselves. The easiest way (I think) is to open the Terminal app and set the window background color ("Window settings..."->color) to a dark green (RGB: 0%,25%,0%). Then zoom the terminal window to full screen and leave the color chooser window on top for a few minutes. Then drag it away.

[edit: or use this [mac.com] page as a background.]

7. macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Well, I think that falls under Acts of God. So I dont' think so. :p

8. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I just tried it on my Powerbook to make sure it wasn't a general LCD problem... but it doesn't appear to be.

9. macrumors regular

No problems here...

The only problem is that most people who don't have any trouble with the displays are too busy using them to tell people that they're working perfectly.

I tested my 23" HD Display with my dad's 15" 667MHz Ti DVI, I saw now dead pixels, brightness/contrast inconsistencies, ghosting, or even the sparkles issue that people said they saw with 15" powerbooks.

Now I just need to wait for my G5 so i can use the damn thing full time.

Good luck with your problems, guys.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Black

I just found out that it works even better with black things on green background, even though the "ghost" image is a lighter green.

I changed the demonstration page [mac.com] to exploit this.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for checking. This means that either this is a problem with the G5 built-in Radeons in combination with these displays (which is unlikely, since it is a digital connection) or it's just some lemon panels. Every Alu 23" I have seen so far (three of them, at different sites, all in combination with a dual G5, though) had this problem. :confused:

12. macrumors regular

Yeah, my bet is with the GPU's and if thats so, it should only take a driver update to fix.

Does it happen with both the 9600XT's and 9800XT's?

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

I can confirm that it happens with my 9600XT. I'm not sure about the other ones in the stores, but I'd say those were stock systems (9600).

14. macrumors regular

I don't think it's the card or the tower...I'm having the same problem with my 12" pbook RevC and a new 23" Cinema HD

15. macrumors newbie

gismap

My 23hd has been on since April 2002 and it's worked perfectly in every way (and no dead pixles). Yes, I too notice that when the background is set to "dark grey" I'll get a ghosted edge of a window that I just moved. Defect? I think not, since changing the desktop to black or any other color avoids this. Also websites with bg color #666666 has the same issue.