Giambi admits steroid use!

Discussion in 'Community' started by gwuMACaddict, Dec 2, 2004.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Jason Giambi admits steroid use in Grand Jury testimony... (check all major news outlets for stories)

what does this do to the credability of sports records, specifically bary bonds? barry's trainer GAVE giambi the roids...

edit: this trainer supplied other sports stars as well, in other sports. thoughts on that? esp with tyler hamilton (cycling) recently being fired for doping...

edit 2: mods, maybe should be in news discussion?

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I think:
    1. Barry will still go into the HOF regardless of steroid use. He may go in "2nd ballot", which would be less special (according to ESPN's Mike and Mike in the Morning).
    2. Giambi is a sham, and with his pituitary gland tumor, hopefully will be seen as another example (ala Lyle Alzado) for steering clear of steroids for health reasons. I cetainly hope his life doesn't end because of steroids.
    3. Baseball will continue to consider "betting on the game" worse than injecting oneself with performance enhancing drugs. Sadly enough.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not a surprising revelation, and anyone who still thinks that BB is clean is fooling themselves.

I agree BB does go into the HOF, but I don't think he is worthy of all of the accolades he gets.

Funny, it is a story about Giambi, but all of the talk will be about BB.

4. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

exactly! that was my first thought too.

5. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I don't think Bonds deserves to be in the hall of fame if found to be guilty of steroid use.

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Personally, I think betting is worse. Betting on the game undermines the ceredability of the entire game, entire teams. Remember the blacksox: a rigged world series. Which is worse, one guy cheating or a world series getting thrown for money. Betting on the sport in which you are involved is terrible. If Pete Rose ever gets into the Hall of Fame, it will be a sham. Keep the bum out.

Steroids has to be taken care of, and I wish that the govenment would step in and prosecute professional atheletes found to use steroids, and that the major sports would cooperate with the authorities in such prosecutions. Atheletes get away with using all sorts of drugs with few if any legal repurcussions, even when caught with drug tests.

7. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

Giambi and Bonds rub me the wrong way. Giambi always looked like he was about to maul somebody. I felt bad for him though when he was out for most of the past season. Now that I know that steroids might have been a cause for his illness or at the very least, exacerbated it, I don't feel as bad.

Before this past season, I really had no strong feelings for Barry Bonds. Didn't like him, didn't hate him. Then right before playing the Red Sox, he opens up his big fat mouth and says that he would never play in Boston because it's too racist. Absolutely false. Boston and San Francisco have a lot in common. Racism is not one of them. They are generally refered to as sister cities. I don't think he could have said anything more ignorant or unsubstanciated.

Personally, I don't care if he hits 900 homeruns in his career. He embodies everything that is wrong with sportsmanship. Any and all accomplishments will be marred with scandal which will make a HOF appearance meaningless.

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

in some strange way, i hope giambi comes back, plays clean and be even better than he was before. (and here i am, a boston fan saying this...) that may show some players that you don't need steroids...

barry is probably juiced. and it's too bad because i think even without steroids, barry would have been able to perform at, say 80%, of where he's been the last few years. and guess what? his last few seasons have been so great that even at 80%, he would have won MVPs and hitting-related titles. and it would have been clean.

in my mind, there's no comparison between betting on baseball and using steroids. two separate issues.

as for tyler hamilton... as a cycling fan, i don't know what to think. i'd like to believe tyler is clean. and there are many facts being bent out there... (like tyler didn't get "fired" - phonak and tyler agreed to terminate his contract...) i hope he's clean - i've been his fan since his usps domestique days... it was such a joy to hear him win in athens...

i guess it's a good thing that my favorite player in MLB (other than sox) is ichiro. no drugs can enable one to do what he does...

9. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Giambi actually always came off to me as a nice guy with a wild side (him and his brother had pretty awesome motorcycles). But then, I'm an A's fan, so i was rooting for him during his best years. I saw the A's play in Kansas City once, and Jason Giambi went out of his way before the game to come out of the dugout to sign autographs (and not jsut while walking to the lockerroom or something, he came to the opposite side where there was no reason to be there except to sign autographs). I shook his hand and got his autograph. Seemed nice enough to me. You know what killed it for me though, was when he did the top ten list on Letterman and made that crack about Oakland. That was pretty classless. I'm sure he didn't really think about it before he said it (its not like he wrote the joke), but he should have. Still he was a big part of some really fun years for Oakland baseball, so its hard for me to hate him, even now. But using steroids still tarnishes what he accomplished, and need to gotten out of the game with real, harsh penalties for first time offenders even.

10. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i wish he was clean too... but you can only fail so many drug tests before even I get suspicious... and he might not have been 'fired' in the donald trump sense of the word, but that's essentially what happened. phonak was racking up the doping violations.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I certainly hope that all sports will check players for drugs. It isn't fair for those players that desire to do the right thing. Using drugs is cheating. Any of their records should be stripped or at least an asterisk, indicating drug use. The Olympics to their credit are very vigilant.

These performance enhancing drugs have a lot to side effects. Wonder if they realize the damage that they are doing to their body. :(

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=sportsmedicine&zu=http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchReports/Steroids/AnabolicSteroids.html

12. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wrong.

see my other post in the news discussion section with the link to the espn article...