Giant earthquake rocks Japan

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Rower_CPU, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

8.0 earthquake!!! :eek:

A tsunami watch has been issued for Hawai'i as well.

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

It's amazing how little damage is caused by earthquakes these days with all of the engineering that goes into making buildings and highways and things like that.

For a quake of such a size, I haven't seen or heard much about it...

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Yeah, horrible. From what I hear there are scores of injuries but no casualties as of yet. Fortunately, Japanese civil engineering is one of the most advanced in the world and like California have one of the strictest building codes. The tsunami watch was cancelled here in Hawaii. The last tsunami that hit Hawaii from a quake generated in Japan was in the early 30's I believe but one can never be too careful when it involves the sheer power of the ocean.

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yeah, I've been watching the local TV for a while and it seems not much damage has occurred. A little water drainage, roads cracked up, but not many casualties. Then again, it is Hokkaido, way up in the North, so there aren't that many multi-storied buildings and such. Not much to damage, I guess.

irmongoose

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That must have been one hell of a ride. I remember being on top of the '89 quake, and that one was only a 7.

A lot of things determine damage levels. Soil consistency, quake duration, direction and acceleration of the ground motion are just a few, not to mention type and quality of construction. The Japanese are well known for their strict earthquake-related building codes, but even they were surprised by the level of damage that occured in Kobe.

Also it seems to have been a relatively shallow 'quake, which usually means a shorter duration. It's those deep, subduction zone quakes that are the really bad ones... think Alaska's Good Friday quake. IIRC, that one lasted close to 5 minutes. Just by comparison, the '89 quake I was in lasted just 15 seconds.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I hope that this quake and the one from a few days ago aren't related in some way, other than general location. I would hate to think that something much bigger is going to happen further north in a few more days.

7. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I don't mean to say anything, but 20 miles is hardly a shallow quake.

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It isn't, at least not over a subduction zone like Japan is. Deep would be about one hundred miles below the surface.

We're all waiting for that magnitude nine earthquake to hit Oregon and Washington though.

9. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I can't seem to find the link now, but about a month ago there was a scientist in Japan who staked his reputation on the fact that he could predict a large earthquake that would hit Japan. At the time, he said it would be within 5 days, and that was wrong, but he apparently did know it was coming. Wierd.

Regards,
    Gus

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

It's a load of bull. Earthquakes occur so frequently here that anyone can say 'An earthquake will occur' and it will sound like they knew it was coming. The earthquake that did hit, which was more like a week after he said it, was a very very minor one compared to what he had 'predicted'. The Hokkaido one is unrelated to the one he 'predicted' because he had said it would happen in the Tokyo region, which is a good deal south to Hokkaido.

irmongoose

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Japan and California have gone to great lengths to prepare for earthquakes. They have very strick building codes. Every once in a while they mention that an earthquake here in New England would be devastating. Experts claim that we are over due for one. We have no building codes that would protect in any way. In Boston there is a lot of back fill, so many of the buildings would be leveled!

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

60km = 37.28 miles
    Well within shallow earthquake specs.;)