Giant Spider outside our garage

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey guys, well, one thing Alabama is known for is bugs. We have some of the largest roaches in the world here. The tree roaches get to be about 2.5 - 3 Inches in length, AND they fly. Nice don't you think.

Another thing we have is spiders. A brown recluse, and black widows are the most dangerous, but this is an Alabama Grey Wolf Spider. It is related to the Tarantula, and although it won't kill you, it will make you really sick. They are generally about 1 inch in diameter, but they can get huge, with this guy as an example.

He was roughly 3.5 inches in diameter. Notice, he is as wide as the brick is!

Post pics of the creepy crawlies from your town.

2. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Wow, that thing is huge! Do you always carry bug spray when you go around outside?

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

4. job macrumors 68040

job

5. markiv810 macrumors regular

Backtothemac in which part of Alabama do you stay. I live in Birmingham haven't seen a spider that big, I am familiar with the big flying roaches though.

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Later on this year, when the black widows come out, I will post some pics. They get HUGE. I mean like HUGE!!!

Nothing else is really scary, unless I catch a scorpion or a vinagaroon.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The story of Doctor Q and the huge hissing spider

I was cleaning out the garage one day when I saw a bunch of spider webs at the bottom corner of the big garage door. I wondered if there were any creepy crawlies still residing there. As I swept my broom across the webs, something hissed at me very loudly. I must have jumped 6 feet straight up - or at least it felt that way. After I got over the shock, I inched in to look more closely. It turned out to be a loose piece of a metal spring sticking out. It had gone "boinnnnnngggg", vibrating back and forth, and I had interpreted the sound as a creature hissing. The laugh was on me!

8. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I am in Tuscaloosa. A subdivision is being build next to us, and they are digging the sewer lines. They are stirring up everything overhere that crawls at night.

Yea, that thing was evidently working out ;)

Q, that is funny. My friend and I were talking about what we would do if that spider got on us. Well, it would have been funny to see.

And yes, I do carry bug spray at night ;)

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

nice pic!

here's one of my all-time favorite books:
    link

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I just love the "ads by google" at the bottom of this page...

11. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

One time, when I was a kid, I was reading "I know an old lady..." You know the story, right? Crazy old hag eats a fly, then spider, then her appetite escalates and she ends up eating a horse.

"I know an old lady who swallowed a fly
    I don't why she swallowed the fly
    I guess she'll die."

Or something to that effect. Anyway, after I read that, I saw a little spider on the floor and ate it.

I can't believe I just told that to, what, 20 thousand people?

Squire

P.S. I'm going to order a pizza.

12. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

My cousin put a spider in his mouth when he was a child. About 5 years old on a dare. It bit him. It was a black widow. Well, they gave him a shot that would have either killed him or saved him. If it was a female, it would have killed him. If a male saved him. It save him, but it caused him to loose a testicle.

Yea, charming don't you think.

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

hahaha! you should change your name back to hitman.

i have seen some pretty intense tarantulas in New Mexico. i remember a friend of my dad's found one that had to be like 6 inches long, while out in the desert... he played around with it, tried to freak my mom out by letting it crawl over his foot...

14. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Lucky for me, the spiders in my neighborhood are harmless.

How's your cousin now? No problems? A guy I knew suffered the same fate after accepting a dare to slide down the railing of his house one day.

It was quite ballsy of him...or so we thought.

Squire

15. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

what? is that a joke?

i can't imagine getting bit by a female black widow. they're one of the most distinct-looking spiders i can think of. the males are rather non-descript though. i didn't know that the males were poisonous, though...

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You've reminded me of a great "Far Side" cartoon, where some birds are looking at the pizza they had delivered and one says "Let's see, mosquitos, gnats, flies, ants, what the? Those jerks! We never ordered stink bugs on this thing!" Enjoy your cheese & spider pizza.

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Nah, I think a pellet gun is the right tool for the job but it requires a MANS pellet gun. I think I would carry my 12 Gauge if it were me.

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

why sport a 12 when you can get a ten?

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Well mainly because 12 ammo is cheaper and easier to come by. I'd hate to be out in the middle of know where and just ran out of ammo blowing away these damn insects and walk into a general store and ask for 10 gauge ammo. I mean geez I would of thought you would have thought of that.:rolleyes: :D

20. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Nope, true story. It was a male that bit him, and yes, they can make you very, very ill, especially when you are 5. He is fine now, but really, did loose a testicle because of the venim or something.

21. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i guess the real question is, with either gun, are you trying to kill a spider or knock holes in the wall?

22. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    OMYGOD stop it! Flying cockroaches the size of blimps, giant spiders, lost testicles...geesh, post a warning next time!:eek:

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Do I hafta answer that question?

Hee, hee, BOOM, hee, hee!!!

24. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

my god...that thing is huge! :eek:

how many spiders were there in that area? I noticed another, smaller one next to it...

25. saint macrumors regular

I once saw a spider at school that would have been bigger than my stretched out hand. And it was inside a classroom too!

Have seen some pretty massive ones while bushwalking as well.