Giant Waterfall Discovered in Calif. Park

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Aug 13, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

400ft :eek: :eek: :eek:

It's incredible that something so large, has remained hidden for so long. :eek:

Rinky dink link

Love the name too... :D

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I read about this too, but I think it should have been reported by the media as "re-discovered" or something. It isn't like it was just formed or just found. They have evidence of activity there fairly recent ('50's I guess), with even a bulldozer around for logging. It just faded from "memory" and has been "re-discovered".

Still sounds like an incredible place, and I would love to visit

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

Wow.

Just shows you. It's a big world.

Lots of space.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats weird that it remained hidden for so long, even after others had been to it.... probably a beautiful site to see though

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Wow! what an exciting find that must have been.

6. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

He is right, but my first thought was too bad he had to tell the world about it because now it may get ruined with litter and become a popular tourist attraction.

But thinking about it, it is well off the beaten track so if someone has the energy and the desire they deserve to check it out. Its not like you can bus people over to it.

7. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

"discoveries" like this make me want to go exploring...who's with me??

no, but honestly, hearing this interests me alot. sounds like a story straight out of a movie, vague maps to hidden treasures...i wonder what else is out there.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The waterfall is beautiful. I saw a picture in color, awesome. Just shows that there are still some undiscovered areas.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

imagine all the wondrous beautiful things yet to be discovered in the oceans of the world....

10. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Very nice.
    Hopefully they won't "build" a trail to it. Let the people who really want to see it and appreciate it make the hard trek.
    I think the quickest way to ruin something like that is to make it "tourist friendly".

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Looks like an ordinary waterfall to me. Bleh.

12. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Odd that something that large would go unnoticed for long. As for the name, well, you just can't make that up... :D

13. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

They can build a trail so long as it isn't a boardwalk. And when they describe the area as "remote" I think that is a good thing.

As an example, I found Union Falls (265 feet) in Yellowstone to be more enjoyable than the Lower Falls (308 feet) because it was 16 miles round-trip and I had to ford a pretty good sized creek (or crick) to get there. There weren't any hot dog stands, didn't see anyone wolfing cones, didn't see anybody beating their kids, etc.

There's something about the strain and sweat that makes things more enjoyable and memorable. At least that is my take...

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yer so cynical. Since I'm easily amused, I think it's purty. Makes you think.

(well, not really... but I didn't have anything else to say)

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Suuuuure.

Someone teach this guy how to read a map. ;)

16. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

They are building a trail to it. It will be about 2 miles.

17. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Yeah, I should have read the whole article. Jeez, a whopper 2 mile jaunt. Might need to construct a libation station about halfway. I'm thinking malts and frozen snickers. But nonetheless enough angry young man... Just goes to show there are a lot of interesting things out there in the woods. Just gotta take a couple steps off the concrete...

Honestly, he might have been going off a USGS quadrangle. Some of those haven't been uppdated since the late 40s depending on the area.

18. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Couldn't agree more, and this really proves it. Amazing.