Gif Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by xsedrinam, Aug 12, 2005.

1. macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Any good, great Gif apps to recommend? Using GIFfun, Gifmation and trying to shrink an avatar gif 72x48 down to 19K, but can only get as low as 88K. I made it with both Motion and LiveType, have tried reduction with Flash, QTP, still no luck. Help, anyone? Thanks.
    X

2. macrumors 68030

homerjward

do you have photoshop? if so i'd recommend imageready. there's also a trial from adobe if you don't. im really not sure beyond that, though--sorry :eek:
    perhaps you could post it here to see if anyone can reduce the size for you. i remember someone did that before with good results.

3. thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ya, I tried ImageReady, no luck there, either. Here's a link if anyone has the time to take a shot at reducing the size.
    gif link
    Thanks,
    X

4. macrumors member

Try using GraphicConverter.

5. macrumors 6502a

Your problem is that the size of the gif is one thing when it is opened -- and another when it is saved. I know this seems strange, but file maintenance demands a certain amount of data be stored along with the file.

For instance, the file attached is 10K when in ImageReady, but when saved takes up 92K.

Attached Files:

6. thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ya, I've taken it down to as low as 28K using IR, shrinking size, messing with the metadata, et. al. It's not worth the hassle, right now. Thanks for those who posted a comment to help. On to other pressing items.

7. macrumors Core

iBlue

i cut several layers (frames) but it is still too high for use as an avatar here. (damn that 20kb limit!)

attached, i will try to cut a bit more and see if it still "flows" nicely...

(edit: UGH what i had to do to that poor image to get it under 20kb - hideous. sorry, i don't think it's gonna happen and still look decent :( i'll attach the poor abused image that is under 20kb)

Attached Files: