gif option in photoshop 5?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by krossfyter, May 30, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    i have a friend who works on a pc and is using photoshop 5 just to do some casual graphic stuff for the web. He is trying to make an image with a transparent background and save it as a .gif.... but for some reason it doesnt allow for that. Is there an issue with photo 5 and saving for gifs with transparent background? I dont know about photo 5... its been a long while since i used it and when i did it was only briefly and i hardly ever did anything for the web at that time. So im wondering if any of you all might know anything i dont anout this.
  2. FatTony macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    It's been ahwle since I used Photoshop 5. I'm not sure how different it is from the latest version, but here goes:

If you want to save in the gif format the image has to be index color, not rgb or cmyk. However, this won't help with assigning a transparent color. So you don't really need to do this unless the next option isn't available:

Try 'save for web' under the file menu. This will give you lots of options on controlling the final file, including making it a gif and assigning transparent colors.
  3. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Saving a transparent GIF/PNG is under the Help menu for some reason, near the bottom, took me forever to find that damn thing too, not sure why they put it under the Help menu...