Gift for PC WoW player?

Discussion in 'Games' started by scarletbiro, Feb 12, 2005.

1. scarletbiro macrumors member

What would make a good gift for someone into WoW (PC)? Besides an actual life, more time to play, fabulous new magical computer, etc. I know I am setting up a million punchlines. But I want to get a gift for this person and I am wondering if there are software or online accessories? plug-ins? tools? or something similar, as I am totally unfamiliar with this one. PC hardware is working fine.

Boy will I feel silly if there is no such thing, but have to ask.

OK -- let's have it ... thanks in advance for any serious answers. :)

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I bet they would really enjoy one of these new WoW keyboards . They are pretty affordable and made just for the game. :)

3. jasylonian macrumors regular

a cupholder for his PC, a sleeping bag he can install in his chair, or a rolling massage chair... those hours logged into WOW can get rather stressful.

4. scarletbiro thread starter macrumors member

Yikes/thanks

Wow (or should I say, WoW) -- that Blizzard site is great. Scary, and great.

The sleeping bag is not a bad idea, considering, but then he would never leave that room. :)

Thanks!

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

im a WoW player and here is what I would want to go along with my game:

a pre-paid amount of subscription.

a WoW keyboard like linked previously.

a mini fridge.

a toilet in my seat.

he may also be interested in peripherals such as a wireless optical mouse (some may say no for gaming, but i feel they've all just used bad mice, mine perfect for gaming, zero lag), headset and microphone for voice chat with buddies online (not a WoW feature, but available via 3rd party apps), etc.

also, introducing him to a nice young girl would be a plus.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'll second the suggestion of a pre-paid gamecard. The WoW keyboard things looks cool, but a bit unnecessary. A mouse with lots of programmable buttons might be nice. A good chair, or a messaging 'cover' for the chair would be helpful as well.

If you want to get into the big bucks, a new video card can always be helpful, as can an extra monitor (playing while browsing help sites/maps/etc is really helpful). Oh, a date would probablynot be looked down upon either. ;-)

Rob

7. scarletbiro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Yah, well it's my husband so the nice young girl thing is just right out! :) But I think I'll do the prepaid game card, or maybe the video card (ours does crash in a major buzzkill way). The keyboard looks cool but a little expensive for just one game (you have to buy the board plus the keyset). Maybe next gift.

Thanks all!

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, if this is your husband, you can save yourself some money by just prepaying his account with your credit/debit card directly rather than getting a prepaid card. The card in stores are $30 for 2 months ($15/month), whereas if you prepay 6 months direct with your credit/debit card you pay $72 ($12/month) or so.

What kind of video card does his PC have currently? To upgrade to anythign worthwhile, you will probably be out about $125-150, so that's pretty costly.

Rob

9. scarletbiro thread starter macrumors member

I like the prepay idea. The video card is a lot of money, but it would be good to cut down on the swearing a bit! heh.

10. scarletbiro thread starter macrumors member

I'll check on the video card to see which one it is. It's a pretty decent one (ATI Radeon 9800 or something similar) but something happened to it -- I've reinstalled the drivers, but it just crashes every random once in a while. Hence the swearing, which seems understandable when you're in the middle of your addictive game.

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

A little off topic, but check the heatsink/fan combo ont he card If it is either loose or clogged its going to crash when you start to 'rev it up'. You could pull the heatsink off the GPU, clean them both, and then reattach with some good head transfer compound. If you're getting consistent crashing while playing games, but not other times, then I would guess that the culprit is heat and a malfunctioning heatsink/fan.

The 9800 is a good card, and has some good life left in it for sure. A prepaid subscription or a more comfortable chair would likely be better appreciated. :)

Rob

12. scarletbiro thread starter macrumors member

Totally on topic, if it weren't for a PC user -- this is still about the WoW gift. :) I'll try your suggestions and look into the prepaid subscription. Thanks again for all the ideas!

13. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member