Gifting Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheAnswer, Dec 16, 2006.

1. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

...I am really good friends with former co-worker whose family don't really have the economic resources to afford a lot of high-tech gadgets. They had a low-end digital camera and printer, then around a year ago I bought them a refurbed iMac (since I saw the potential for them to use it for learning to type, improving their language skills and educating their two children).

So this holiday season, my friend has been asking for an iPod. So here is the conflict: If I get them a new iPod nano (which is kinda stretching my budget), they will have to get the car audio adapter, the protective skins and who knows what other accessories. On the other hand, I could wait and see if I get a nano from Santa and give them my old gen 4 iPod and my old gen 1 shuffle and any accessories I have that don't work with the new nano.

I don't know if I should feel worse giving them my old goodies or giving them something new and subjecting them to having to buy accessories since they really don't have money to afford them.

So which is better?, or does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Either way they should appreciate it. IMO you should see if you get a new nano because to tell you the truth, you shouldn't be giving them something that may be out of your range when you have already given them nice stuff. And the guy asked for an iPod? I understand the situation but i still find that sort of strange

3. TheAnswer thread starter macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well, I asked for gift ideas...and he came back with the iPod. I really can't blame him for asking, since he's got a Mac and everytime he sees me I have mine on, and they are all over TV (well not just TV, everywhere).