Giga Designs announces world's first CPU upgrade for 'Mirr...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 27, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

Aren't they pushing the 7455B processors a little hard to get 1.42 GHz out of them? If we were skeptical at Apple's efforts to get 1.25 GHz out the door, surely, this looks risky.

I noticed that PowerLogix is offering 7457 processors to get in that speed range.

3. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Wouldn't it be chaeper to sell up and buy a G5?

Apple cpu upgrades always cost a bomb.

4. macrumors regular

5. Moderator emeritus

A dual G4 still beats the lower end single processor G5s, so depending on finances, it could be a decent deal. I'm more willing to go with PowerLogix on such upgrades, though.

6. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, the dual G4 is faster than a single G5. I was looking at getting a new single G5, but then I found out about this new upgrade, which looks to be better - I won't lose OS 9 support! Anyway, I was interested in hearing what people think about it, so what better way for that than to post to MacBytes? :)

They're using a copper heatsink, which apparently absorbs heat better than the aluminium heatsink that Apple uses. I think it comes with a new fan too. Something I find interesting is that Giga specifically state that overclocking their CPUs does NOT void the warranty! :eek: