gigabit ethernet g4 logic board in a B&W case

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mord, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I have myself a blue&white g3 and i was thinking to myself to get a owc g4 that costs around £150 but then i though why not just get a gigabit ethernet logic pop that in with my cubes old processor which is set at 550MHz and put my old rage in there with the pci rage and have a nice cheap setup the only hitch being adc power which i don't need because i don't have an adc monitor for it (may do in the future so i may get a better power supply)

are there any compatibility issues with the different logic boards?

and all this has an added bonus of me being able to sell my logic board on ebay and give my 450MHz g3 to my mate for his g3 that is constantly kernel panicking (i tested it and it's a bad cpu) even if i sell my logic board for $50 it would cost me the same amount of money as a g4 zif

(I don't have a single g4 heatsink though is there any way to somehow get a dual heatsink to work? or would i just have to get one from owc)

this seems like a great upgrade with the only problems maybe being having to cut in a few places and at the end of it all i'll have a gigabit g4 in my favorite powermac case.

2. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

I have looked into this some more and found a few problems

1) the cpu card screws wont work

2) the mpeg decoder thing needs contact or a small heatsink