Gigabit Ethernet Mac help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iPhil, Aug 21, 2006.

1. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I want some help on the possible video cards for Gigabit Ethernet system?

Yes i'm going from G3 to G4 ..YaY!! :D :D .. I know the Max specs for it already .. thanks to mactracker.ca ... soon i wanna start to burning dvds etc with the G.E. G4 system ..:eek: :D

2. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Depending on the budget... I would suggest a Flashed PC FX5200, will give you all the wonderfull core image stuff, work on the "older" AGP4 slots and wont break the bank, down side... flashing isnt for the faint of hearted.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Just curious, but what exactly does burning dvd's have to do with getting a new video card, huummmm

And if you know the specs for your machine, ala mactracker, then whats your real question......the Radeon 9800/128mb is the best (although not the cheapest) card that will still work on 2xAGP slots, has been for quite some time.....

4. iPhil thread starter macrumors 68040

iPhil

My Question is do i really need to buy a "Flashed" video card to work in the system?.. :eek: :eek:

Ideally my G4 setup would have dvi input, so i can switch between Mac/linux .. Yes i know i need a monitor that has dvi/vga and kvm switch

5. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

6. iPhil thread starter macrumors 68040

iPhil

7. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

You flash the card's ROM to work with Mac firmware and\or modify the card (overclock, unlock pipelines, etc).

Its a very simple process actually, you just need to inform yourself properly before doing it.

9. iPhil thread starter macrumors 68040

iPhil

Does anyone know that the videocard linked in post #6 will work "without any flashing" in Gigabit Ethernet G4 system ?? :eek: :eek: