Gigawire-about it

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jeff.macaddict, Nov 17, 2003.

1. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

I was reading some rumors about Gigawire, and some people thought it would be compatible with Airport Extreme. Now, that sounds all fine and dandy, however I do not think it is a possibility since they are, if Gigawire exists, so different.

Airport Extreme uses the 802.11g 54Mbps wireless standard, and I don't know what Gigawire will use- but it will be different. People thought it would be in the FireWire family-lets remember that FireWire involves, believe it or not WIRES! Gigawire is a wireless standard/protocol/whatever. And, Gigawire would be used for things FireWire isn't normally used for-like wireless internet, telecommunnications, etc. FireWire is kinda for like, transfering files and digital video. And why improve upon it so radically? FireWire 400, hence, can reach up to 400Mbps, and FireWire 800, hence, claims 800Mbps, but in about a year, when the stuff is worked out, the same FireWire 800 we know and love will travel at speeds of up to 3.2 Gbps (3200 Mbps).

Please reply with your regards on Gigawire.

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-jeff.macaddict

My guess? Gigawire will be the branding attached to IEEE1394c when it get's approved. It is the next incarnation of Firewire and it is currently in testing at 1600mbps.

IMPO, it deserves this separate brand for two reasons: One, it crosses the 1gbps barrier, and two, it's fast enough to deliver uncompressed HDTV video.

Of course, you are correct, the Firewire protocol intended to be submitted to the IEEEE as 1394d is prototyping at 3200mbps. That's fast enough to deliver - I don't know, people? Pizza?