Gigawire: Airport's Sequel?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Durandal7, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

This is just a wild guess but the trademark entry at http://tess.uspto.gov for Gigawire reads:
    ---------
    Word Mark GIGAWIRE
    Goods and Services IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Telecommunication services; cellular telephone communication; Communication by computer terminals, communication by telephone, facsimile transmission; providing of electronic mail (E-Mail); computer aided transmission of messages and images; communication between computer peripherals and devices; information about telecommunication.
    ----------
    Perhaps Gigawire will be a second Airport that can connect computers and Apple's digital lifestyle appliances together. Maybe the "remote" port on the iPod is a port to let a Gigawire base station load data onto it. Imagine it Gigawire would let all of apple's devices communicate. Maybe keyboard and mice will be made wireless via Gigawire. I guess we'll all find on monday if Gigawire is just Firewire 2 or Apple eliminating all wires. The new focus on irda ports may have something to do with Gigawire.

[Edited by asurace on 01-04-2002 at 07:44 PM]

2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: Gigawire: The next big thing

If this is concerned with airport it will have to be compatible with the existing airport equipement + also be quite a bit faster to come with the bandwidth demand. I think its Firewires big brother

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

i thought gigawire was next generation firewire with a higher bit rate

4. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

It could be next-gen firewire but the site also lists that entry for wireless networking.The firewire entry doesn't have that which is kind of odd. Maybe Gigawire will be a wireless firewire using infrared ports to some degree. I don't believe Apple would come out with iPod only to have it become obsolete 2 months later. In any case in the future if Apple keeps releasing digital appliances they will want Airport to communicate with them at some point.

[Edited by asurace on 01-04-2002 at 10:27 PM]

5. dantec macrumors 6502a

But...

I always thought IRDA ports where slow (don't they transfer up to 2mbps??) why use it for something that is going at the speed of 400+mbps?!?

Maybe this is a wireless protocol that runs at 800 mbps... (is it possible at this speed?)

6. GigaWire macrumors 6502

7. select65 Guest

iPod antenna

Why have I heard no mention anywhere in these forums of the antenna built into the iPod?

8. Classic macrumors regular

Here's an idea.....

So, everyone is well aware that the iPod didn't ship with a remote, but that in diagnostic mode there is a test for one. I have always just thought that the remote would be for the iPod, but I could never really fugre out why you would need one.

Maybe the remote will be used in conjunction with the iPod to control other devices?

9. dantec macrumors 6502a

So what...

Will the remote be called?

Pro Remote?

10. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

The iPod antannae does make more sense for Gigawire. Scratch that whole infrared port thing.