GigaWire=Rendezvous

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacAztec, Oct 13, 2002.

1. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I think that GigaWire is Rendezvous. Check out what GigaWire does, and Rendezvous does the same stuff.

2. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Gigawire is supposed to be a Firewire 2, which Rendezvous is very much something different. It is reasonable to assume that "Gigawire" actually Firewire 2 because A: We know a firewire 2 is coming (Firewire is behind USB2 right now, and we cant be having that), and B: the fact that they share "wire" in their name.

Furthermore, If Gigawire were Rendezvous we would have heard by now, probably.

3. macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure GigaWire isn't FireWire 2 OR Rendezvous...

4. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Anyone care to provide a link for those of us too tired to search because it's 12:00 AM?

5. macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Gigawire = physical medium to connect devices together
    Rendezvous = software used to request services on a network without configuration (ie. Who here is running iChat, Who here is sharing their iTunes library?)

Gigawire != Rendezvous

6. macrumors newbie

Apple has worked hard to estab the Firewire name for years and now they throw that away and cyhange that to Gigawire. NOT!

7. macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i read about a day or two ago that somebody had already made an announcement about having gigawire external hard drives available soon (i'm tired and too lazy to spend an hour searching for who it was). but rendevouz has nothing to do with hardware (other than providing a medium of exchange between networked devices).