Gil Amelio, Ellen Hancock and Woz to form new company

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iris_failsafe, Feb 16, 2006.

1. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

Yes your eyes are not playing games with you. The have created a company called Acquicor Technology. It is a SPAC, or special purpose acquisition company or a "blank check". Which means that you give them the money but you don't know for what. They plan to acquire something when they manage to raise the 100 Million they are asking for...
    Here is the article

http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/13/technology/pluggedin_fortune/

So would you give any money at all?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I just sent them $100M. Yes, it's a year's worth of Mac products for me, but I just had to know what they want to buy. ;)

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They're all quite good. I was always impressed with Ellen Hancock at IBM. Steve Wozniak always seems to be out of date these days but he's quite inventive and Gil Amelio did some good things for National Seminconductor, as well as, Apple.

I wonder what they're planning. Obviously, it has to be something technology-based, given their past. Maybe, they'll end up taking over Motorola and making it interesting and viable again.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

oooh, sorry, they don't take Monopoly money.;) :D

I'm curious, but we'll have to wait and see what they're up to.

5. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

My random and silly guess:

They're going to acquire a bunch of iPod accessory makers to make one iPod accessory mega-corp. :D

Seriously though, it should be interesting to see what they do. Didn't Wozniak start a company a while back that was going to do something with wireless technologies?

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I believe you are referring to Wheels of Zeus, that works with GPS technology.

7. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Hmm. Do these sorts of enterprises really work? I'd love to see more innovation and different ideas in technology, but...

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It reminds me of the way the .com mess started. They were required to come up with some sort of product every 18 months, but didn't necessarily take it to market.

"I got $2 million today."
    "What do you think we should create with it?"
    "Let's have lunch first, then we can decide on something. I hate thinking on an empty stomach."

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Does venture capital work? Of course! Not all funded ventures are successful, but some are. That's the gamble. Apple was bootstrapped that way.