GIMP vs Seashore

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukebound85, Sep 22, 2006.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    I tried a search but yea didnt have much luck

Does anyone know if seashore is equivalent to GIMP? Or which one would you prefer of the two?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Seashore is based on GIMP, but doesn't quite have all the features of GIMP...don't ask me to enumerate what it's missing, because I haven't used either one enough to really figure it out. I find Seashore much more user-friendly due to it being a Cocoa app. It's pretty darn good for the vast majority of basic-to-mid level image editing tasks.
  3. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I prefer SeaShore because it runs natively (no need for X11), but both are free apps so why not try them both and see which 1 you prefer?
  4. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

Jul 31, 2008
    New York City
    Seashore is sort of a watered down version of gimp. if you are just looking for basic photo edits, or microsoft paint style, go for seashore. but if you are heavily interested in photo editing or enjoy digital imaging or graphic design, go for gimp.
  5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Seashore is really basic, I'd say less functional than a very old version of Photoshop. It's also slow. But it is free.

The biggest problem I have with Seashore is that it appears to be abandoned. I haven't seen any updates in over two years. That's not a good sign.