GimpShop and X11

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nekkid Fish, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Nekkid Fish macrumors member

It says I need to download X11 before I can install GimpShop.

My iMac is new ... so maybe I already have it?

And what is X11 anyhoo?

Thanks bunches for any and all help! Jules

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

X11 is an irritating thing that lets programs be easily ported from Linux to OSX, but they don't get a nice aqua interface. X11 is not preinstalled, however it is on your OSX disks (came with the computer), put disk one in, and if you can't find it, use spotlight.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You will find it on your tiger DVD install disc. X11 is a windowing system for unix and since Gimp was developed on Linux, X11 is required to run it.

4. Nekkid Fish thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm .... okie dokie ... is it something that just runs in the background, or is it an app I have to learn how to use?

I'm wanting to buy CS3 when it comes out, but I thought I'd give Gimpshop a try first to see what it's like.

Thanks bunches! Jules

5. Blubbert macrumors 6502

When you open GimpShop it will immediately open X11 and it will run in the background, requiring no input from you. Its as if it werent even there.

6. Nekkid Fish thread starter macrumors member

Well, the problem now is that I installed the X11 from my disk, yet when I try and open Gimpshop, it says 'Failure to start X11' so I'm at a loss as to what to do. :(

I've tried Googling it, but a lot that's out there is way over my head and I don't understand it. :confused:

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks and HUGz! Jules

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Trying going into the applications folder and starting X11 by itself does it dump you at a command prompt that looks less pretty then terminal?:D

8. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you go into /Applications/Utilities, do you see X11.app? If you don't, then you have not installed X11, yet. You have probably installed X11SDK, which I have no idea what it is, but that is not what you want. You need to go back to your install DVD, scroll all the way down, you should see optional install packages. X11.app is one of them.

Good luck...

9. Nekkid Fish thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys ... thanks for the help.

I have looked everywhere in disk 1, and the only thing in there is a package called X11SDK.pkg ... which I installed, but nothing happens. :(

I've also looked everywhere on my system, and there is no X11 installed.

Anybody have any ideas on where I can find X11, or what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks bunches! Jules

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

11. Nekkid Fish thread starter macrumors member

I now have it installed, after much reading last night and this morning.

For anyone else that might run into this, here's what I did.

I installed Desinstaller, and uninstalled all of the previous X11SDK and others that I had downloaded last night.

I then installed InVisibles and made everything visible.

I then did a spotlight search of Disk 1, and looked for X11User.pkg.

I installed that, and the X11 application then went into the Utilities folder.

I was then able to complete the GimpShop install and the program opens fine.

Sheesh .... Apple sure made it hard to find X11 on the disk. :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone's help! Jules

12. Bartosz macrumors newbie

X11 doesn't work

I want through similar pains: installed GIMP, figured out that I needed X11, found it on the CD, installed it, and tried to run GIMP again (all this took me only a few days).

Now GIMP starts, displays its menu with everything greyed out, and nothing more. I tried running X11 alone (from the utilities folder). It starts, changes the cursor to an X, but as soon as I move the mouse or touch the keyboard, it goes away.

One thing I wasn't sure about: when I ran GIMP the first time with X11, I got the prompt about the .x11config file or some such. It said that I already have one and whether I want to overwrite it. I selected NO, since I assumed it was there for a purpose. Maybe that was the fatal mistake? How do I fix it?

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

X11 is a window system that predates both Macs and PCs It was developed at MIT a long time ago back when "no one" had graphic monitors on computers. It has become the standard Window system for UNIX computers. The bulk of all free open source software is written for UNIX and the X11 window system.

X11 does some things Macs can't. It uses the comcept of a client and a sever. Cliets are programs like Gimp. Servers can be any computer with a monitor attached. Noice the word "any" X11 programs can put their dispaly up on any networked computer that runs X11. What this means is I can run the program on one computer and display it on another. So I can run (say) Gimp on that really fast machine downstairs and bring the display up here. So Gimp don't slow down my browser.

I was really dsapointed that Apple didn't base aqua on X11.

14. Bartosz macrumors newbie

X11 installation

Indeed, that was the mistake. After I deleted the current .x11config, X11 started working and Gimp too. Unix sucks: one incorrect choice and you're hosed.

15. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

yes, when my macbook was new i installed x11 and it didnt work
    so i guess its a common issue, fixed when i reinstalled tiger and checked x11 installation