Gimpshop or Gimp? Which for keeping up to date?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bern, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I want to try out Gimp but not sure which to download.

If I download Gimpshop can I keep it updated via the Gimp updates? I know they're the same thing except Gimpshop has a UI built into it just not sure what is best to do when it comes to updating either of them.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You will need to base that decision on the interface you like better.

Not really. New gimpshop builds are based on gimp releases, but it's still a fork. Because of the modifications, there is some lag time.

3. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

Well I'm neither this way nor that about either to be honest. :)

That's as I suspected. So would you recommend then just using GIMP as updating may be more frequent or worthwhile? I was going to use the download from here as I understand this would be the easiest way to install GIMP.

4. dwishbone macrumors regular

i prefer GIMPshop due to the interface, but as someone said before...since its based off the official builds it can't be updated until the official program is so it is a little bit later on its upgrades.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Meh. It's a fairly mature program and there aren't drastic changes all the time. The changes do make it over to gimpshop after a few weeks, so the differences aren't going to be that big.

I don't think that there will be any conflicts preventing you from installing both apps and kicking the tires to see what you like better. Files will of course be compatible too, so you don't have to worry about making the "wrong" choice.