Girls Made To Wear Trash-Bag Skirts As Punishment

Discussion in 'Community' started by whfsdude, Sep 20, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

HAHA! :D

http://www.local6.com/news/2496172/detail.html

"Two Bronx girls reportedly had to wear skirts made of trash bags to class as a punishment for coming to school in jeans rather than their uniforms.

The sixth-graders at the Bronx Preparatory Charter School were made to wear the bags by principal Marina Bernard Damiba.

Damiba called the garbage-bag skirts "Damiba fashions" and said they weren't meant to be humiliating."

2. macrumors 68040

tazo

I don't know where I stand on this; On one hand these girls violated the school's rules, and on the other hand it seems somewhat unfair to make them do something potentially humiliating.

3. macrumors 604

iJon

thats stupid as hell. im glad i dont go to a school that makes you wear uniforms. i think its stupid to begin with.

iJon

4. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Wrong. Punishment should have been detention and making them wear the real uniform.

It's not right to have such subjective punishment; it should be a common and evenly distributed punishment applicable to every student equally.

What ever happened to detention?

I mean, I'ven't been out of school for much more than half a decade, and though it was a Catholic school, I can't imagine teachers at any school not being able to administer some sort of standard punishment such as detention.

What does forcing them to violate the dress code in a humiliating manner prove? Should a guy who comes in with too much facial hair be forced to wear a skirt too? Or a fake moustache?

Why do school administrators do dumb things.... oh, that's right, because they're administrators, aka "teachers who hated teaching and/or kids."

5. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

When I went to school they had a closet of uniforms for situations like this. Then you had to wear some nasty funky ten year old uniform.... It was just as embarrassing.

If this was a private school then the administration can do whatever it wants. A local fundamental christian school gave detention to kids who watched Titanic. (At home on their own time..)

6. macrumors 68040

Eh? Am I missing something here?

7. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Nope... It is a wacky school. They aren't even accredited so the graduates get a GED.

8. macrumors 68040

tazo

there was nudity in there....i think that may have been the reason.

I am sure that there have been many cases where a religous school has punished children for seemingly inane things, we just seem to enjoy pointing out that they're Christian at the same time.

9. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

heh I am Catholic. And tired, so maybe I was taking a jab. (my wife is Protestant. I always thought we should go to Ireland. ;))

10. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

When I was in high school, I got detention from one of the monitors for being too near the creek (there's a creek that runs through the high school).

I asked around. There has never been a rule against being near the creek at my school. I asked dozens of people and NOBODY had ever heard of that as a rule.

Not only that, but my school didn't have detention.

The guy was a total jerk anyway, I'm glad he left my freshman year. We all hated him.

11. macrumors P6

wdlove

They should have just sent them home to change back into their uniforms. I think that it was wrong to humiliate them in that way.