GIs marching away from re-enlistment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 14, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Hopefully this means I'm wrong and these military people are thinking for themselves and realizing that this is not a war to be in and are refusing to go back :D :D :D

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Why is this? Why wouldn't one re-enlist to fight an increasingly unpopular war, where one was often given inadequate/inappropriate training and supplies, poor compensation, a hostile and hot environment with the possibility of being scapegoated for orders sanctioned by higher up on the command chain? Oh yeah, you might be stuck out there indefinitely, possibly with a family to support stateside...and if/when you come back, you might be treated like the returning soldiers were in Vietnam...what's not to like?

4. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

I'd say that story was full of crap.

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Voltron, I'd say you are full of crap.

The article you linked to is dated the first of April (look in the URL, as the Wash. Times doesn't date their article text). The article Zim linked to is dated June 14, 2004.

Your article is two months old. Also these words may have jumped out at you from Zim's article:

"re-enlistments have dropped suddenly and dramatically"

"surprising decline within the past 2 1/2 months"

Your claim of shenanigans has been rebuffed. :p

Taft

6. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

what also jumped out at me from that article is

7. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

That is true. But your first post was a shameless lie. The article CLEARLY is not full of crap and has validity. YOUR article is out of date and does not reflect current conditions.

Taft

8. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

I assumed because it came off the top of the search list that it was a recent article. Its amazing how perfect you expect everybody to be. So I didn't see the date located in the link, Big freaken deal mr. Perfect. Odds are enlistment will still be up come next quarter especially considering that the Army according to article above has already met 98% of their goal for the entire year. Correction 99%, durn I'm proved imperfect again.

9. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I'm sorry that I expect the people I discuss political issues with to check their sources and verify information they post. Actually, no. I'm not sorry. You can't be bothered to check your "facts"? Don't show up to the conversation.

I don't know where you get this idea that it is perfectly acceptable to spew information which you aren't sure is correct. It isn't OK. It irreparably harms the conversation and quality of debate. How can we have a decent conversation if I can't trust the information coming from the other posters?

Taft

10. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

Conversations somehow always seem to get testy when Voltron/Sly Hunter is involved. I find myself often reading comments from people wondering what planet he is discussing, it appears to be a trend. Note: I may need a team of fact checkers to confirm this.

11. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

I don't have hours to go around searching for such links.
    I do have a valid opinion and as much right as you do to voice it.

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I agree. It was a mistake and it has been overreacted to. Calm down people. From what I can tell Voltron is as nice of a person as anyone else here. Just because he is often on the otherside of the issues doesn't mean you have to jump down his throat when he makes a boo-boo.

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

1/2 the time we'd all just be agreeing with each other w/o him. So that explains why :p

14. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

yay! I don't have to see what Neserk types any longer. hooray for ignore lists!

15. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

OK, maybe I overreated a little.

Still though, if you don't take the time to check the stuff you are posted out, you shouldn't come into a thread and say, "I'd say that article is full of crap." Maybe if it weren't said in such a cocky, "I'm right and you are wrong" way, I wouldn't overreact so much.

Whatever.

Taft

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't think so.

sly probably has no idea why he's on so many people's ignore lists. i seriously doubt if your telling him informed him, as he's demonstrated a devastating lack of critical thinking and the ability to hear only what he wants to hear.

i put people on my ignore list when i think they have nothing to contribute. and i don't think calling out such people is out of line. at all.

17. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

Well stated, I have yet to add anyone to my ignore list. Although I think you may have just shown me the light...

Edit: Addition number 1 has been made, I'm in a better mood already.

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

you will dream the carefree dreams of innocent children

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

You forgot to add "and because he is on the other side"

No doubt if he agreed with you you'd put up with the cockiness... still... I think *everyone* needs to step back and be a bit kinder...

20. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Alas, 'tis true. I, like many others, have a habit of ignoring the people making rabid attacks from a position similar to my own.

Thing is, a watchdog can only do so much watching. And of course the things I am most likely to get up in arms about come from people who stand in stark opposition to my views. People care more about issues which effect them personally. I will say, though, that ignorant cockiness pisses me off no matter which direction it comes from. I'm just more likely to notice it in those with whom I disagree.

So I guess you are right that if everyone were a little nicer, we wouldn't have this problem. Good luck getting everyone to play nice!

Taft

21. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

HA! I have problems getting children to do that let alone a bunch of males with egos ;)

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've let a few people from my own side have it before for inappropriate comments. Sometimes they get really testy about it, but most times they can accept criticism from their own side.

23. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

24. winwintoo macrumors 6502

surprising :eek: :eek: :eek:

Only in America would someone find it surprising that a soldier returning from the battlefield in a war that should not have been fought in the first place wouldn't immediately re-enlist so he could go again.

m

25. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

bite heads off snakes :eek:

My facetious monitor isn't working today so if I miss sarcasm well then you'll have to tell me.