Gish Demo - And why my iBook sucks

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jalexster, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I have downloaded and played the Gish Demo for Windows in the past, and I liked it. I got the demo for Mac OS X. It's very different from the Windows version. It has 4 levels in the demo, instead of 3 on the Windows version of the demo. Two of the levels are the first on both versions

And I now know my iBook SUCKS.

Gish runs like crap on my iBook 800Mhz, and runs very fast on a 2.1Ghz AMD Athlon XP. My iBook just can't handle the insane physics.
    The graphics are also lacking. The lighting effects are working (can you say slowdown?), but gish is missing reflections. If I turn everything up, I just get a small patch of the colour on gish, of whatever light source is near. The Windows version has some cool-looking reflections.
    I'm putting this down to my iBook not having very good video hardware.

Anyway, I'd like to see what results other people get from trying Gish on more powerful Macs. I'd also like to know other users opinions on the gameplay/physics/graphics. It would be nice if you could also check out the Windows version of the demo, to see the difference.

Here is the link to the page with the demos (it's in the left hand coloum, down the page a bit): http://www.chroniclogic.com/index.htm?gish.htm

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

OK for one thing you're WAY underspec:

Minimum system requirements:

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, Linux or OSX 10.1+
    AMD,Intel or G3 1000+ Mhz processor
    OpenGL video card with 32 mb of memory
    256MB of memory

Recommended system requirements:

AMD, Intel, or G4 1500+ Mhz processor
    OpenGL VideoCard with 64+ mb of memory
    256MB of memory

Furthermore you've also got a Rad9200 in that laptop... which is really not the best of cards by far... I wouldn't expect it to run well, seeing as how you are definitely under spec and it IS an OpenGL based game after all.

3. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

4. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

6. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

It plays fine on my 1.5Ghz 15" PB. Everything is smooth even when running on battery and it doesn't seem very taxing on the system.

7. wide macrumors 6502a

awesome on my comp (see sig). it's a pity i just don't like the game that much...

8. thejazzman10 Guest

Gish runs PERFECT on my iBook G3 900mhz, 640 mb ram :rolleyes:

9. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

My iBook 800 has 384MB of RAM. It meets the minimum, except for the processor.

I have an idea why Gish would run better on a G3. Didn't the G3s have much better floating point units? I'd expect that Gish would have to do alot of floating point calculations to run.

Also, for a real fun test, load up Collection Level 6, turn heavy (D key), and crumble as many blocks as you can. The fragments don't disapear, so you wsill have a whole bunch on screen. Gish slows to a crawl.

Although, and this is really interesting, if I load up Collection Level 10, It's perfectly smooth. Gish moves like fluid. Just like he does on my WinXP computer (The AMD AthlonXP).

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Runs absolutely perfect on my 1ghz G4 Powerbook with Radeon 9000 (64MB).

11. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I forgot to mention. Try getting to Demo level 4. It's got multiple light sources, and lots of things casting shadows. I'd like to see how other systems coped with that. Mine didn't handle it worse than the rest of the Demo.

12. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I couldn't get passed Level 3 (although i didn't try very hard).

13. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Gish is hard. You got to practice and practice until you can control Gish properly, then it's not that hard.

14. Klopsi69 macrumors member

i downloaded this game after seeing ur post, runs fine on my 1ghz powerbook, but how the hell do u do level 3???

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

16. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

To beat level 3, on the menu after you select your name, select Replay (Or something like that. In the replay click Level 3, and watch. You will get a demo showing you how to beat the level. Some for the other levels.

Of course, it's alot more fun to work it out for yourself. Let me give you a tip:
    If gish uses his sticky (A) ability to move a block on top of him, going Heavy (D), will make the block shoot up the air, breaking other blocks. Like the ones holding that rather large block up, that would easily clear a path for gish below...

17. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

i looked at the screenshots for gish and didnt see anything amazing about the graphics. its strange that your system cant run it. i have a 667 g4 powerbook and i can play quake on it just fine.

ok im obviously missing something. like you said it could be the physics. im sure the graphics are more taxing that quake, it just doesnt look like it from the screen shots.....i use an xbox for games myself.

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Same here!

My fondness for this supposedly-obsolete laptop just rose a notch. :D

19. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I tried the game. It's refreshingly different. The reason why it has so high requirements is because, unlike most games that have a very simple system for physics, this game simulates all objects. You control a blob that has some very interesting physical abilities.

Also it is not made by a big software house, so I guess the programmers do not have as much time to polish the looks.

Runs fine on my 1GHz 12" PowerBook rev. B, but I haven't made it to level 5 yet, though. It not easy to master :)

20. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

On the Demo for WinXP (which I have tried), Gish looks a lot better. For one thing, he is kinda reflective, and the light sources are in different places.

21. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I think I don't get the reflection as in the Win version either, so either the windows version is different or the reflection requires 64MB of VRAM.

22. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

23. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

On second thought, if the reflections you're talking about are like the reflection on the screenshots, then I have reflections after all. They look rather crude.

24. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get the bad-looking reflections on Mac OS X if I set my colour setting to 32-bit. On the WinXP version, the reflection effects are much, much better.

I'll try and pull a screenshot.

25. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, got the screenshots:

Attached Files: