Give Mac Explorer to the people

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 23, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Internet Explorer is like polio... When it slips to almost undetectable levels in the population, you rejoice. You don't send samples of the virus to people to make sure they haven't forgotten about it.

Making ActiveX more readily available is exactly what shouldn't happen as well. I understand the motivation behind the people making the plugin for Firefox, but lack of ActiveX support is probably the best thing about Firefox.

4. Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's about the LAST comparison that I would have expected to read, but it works for me.

5. macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

It makes sense that an open information network should have open source standards, but I don't think that making ie:mac open source is the way to go. Firefox and Camino do this perfectly, and I've yet to encounter a problem. I don't know why I would want to encourage web developer's to keep using activex, because this is part of what spawned so many spyware and malware problems. I say, let ie die. Having more open-source browser marketshare would do more to fix the problem of ie only websites that don't follow standards, and that's what we all want.

6. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*releases soundbyte to the media, bows* :D

7. macrumors 68020

dubbz

f you've got a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X and you like to use Microsoft's Internet Explorer for browsing the web, then I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you.

Like to use? :confused: Even if you don't have to? :confused: But... why? :confused:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

8. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, that. There was a clerical error involved in that. That sentence was supposed to be immediately followed by this picture:

[​IMG]

In context, I'm sure you'll agree it makes much more sense. :D

9. macrumors P6

Peace

It's a shame Apple can't get Safari to be as good as Firefox..As for Explorer for Mac? blah.Who cares.

10. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

My god, I can't believe some one would view the death of IE for mac as a bad thing. Seriosly, it suxs, it's dead, let's move on

11. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

But we need it....get a clue people.

12. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i keep asking myself this more often nowadays. is there a scientific test, that states that firefox is better than safari?

better in what sense? i use safari on my mac. i use firefox (as much as possible) when i really have to use pcs.

13. macrumors 603

OutThere

It's def necessary for survival. I don't think that I could live without it. 'twould be unpossible.

14. macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I think his heart is in the right place, but the logic is flawed. He says that Microsoft-only features of the internet are causing the 'net to be closed to non-Microsoft browsers, so Mac IE should be made open-source.

Problem: Microsoft can change these standards at any time (as he himself acknowledges) instantly nullifying any gains making Mac IE open-source might obtain.

Promoting open web standards is the way forward, not this. I'm finding fewer and fewer websites that don't work with my browser of choice (Camino), and with the growth of Mozilla-based browsers (especially Firefox) this has increased market awareness of the "non Microsoft way". Suddenly not catering for 10-15% of the internet's active users is a big thing, as opposed to the 2-3% it was two or three years ago. Things are gradually changing.

15. macrumors 68020

I've never used it. Banking, shopping, etc....every site that I visit works with Safari. The worst that happens is that occasionally the graphics are messed up a bit. In fact IE is not even installed on my system.

--Eric

16. macrumors 65816

Photorun

Ahhh SA the Microsuck apologist speaks, I was wondering how long you were going to take to post. Not sure what you're doing around these parts, there's plenty of Microsoft circle jerk forums out there, why don't you go find one and stay there.

17. macrumors 6502a

Verto

1.) People who write things like "Microsuck" are generally overzealous idiots, as this post shows.

2.) It was a valid point, that IE is the only browser that will work properly on many websites.

18. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Or to put it another way a few websites don't work unless with IE.

19. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Microsoft won't be giving away the Mac IE source any time soon. The useful parts are still used inside Office.

20. macrumors 6502a

I wrote a program. . .

to test this sentence. First, all Mac OS X users are using Macintosh computers, so the conditional part of this sentence is:

if(runningMacOSX == YES && likesIE == YES){
    . . .
    }

The compiler was smart enough to say, "The code inside the braces is never reached." I wonder why the author wasn't.

21. macrumors 6502a

That's a good excuse, but my favorite explanation is that they don't want to reveal how shoddy their coding practices are.

22. macrumors member

IE on Windows, maybe, but not IE on the Mac.

Believe it or not, they are two different things and operate very differently. A lot of sites work properly on Windows IE but terribly on IE:Mac. You're better off with Firefox on the Mac than you are with IE.

23. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, my understanding is that IE on Macs supports a very, very, very limited subset of ActiveX, giving it very occasional compatibility with ActiveX sites where the other browsers fail. Also sometimes it seems that Java functions differently in it. The summer after I first got my Mac, circa 10.3.6, there was a site that had a Java chat session that only worked in MSIE/Mac, even though Safari and FF were using the same Java engine, as far as I could tell. Strangeness. But then it worked fine with later versions of Safari and FF. And on PCs it worked on FF. Who knows?

24. macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I got a Mac to get AWAY from MS and IE!

The last thing I would want to put on my iMac or my PB is....[shudder] IE. Ugh! If there is some website that I cannot access or some function that I cannot perform with my Mac that is available only with Windoze and IE, fine, I'll go fire up the ole PC (but only if I have plenty of time to first download the latest virus definitions and update the firewall program before I can do anything else).... Safari has served me very well and I intend to keep that as my only browser in here. I did use Firefox in the Windows machine to try and prevent some of the problems which are inherent in Windoze, but don't feel a real need or desire to install that software on the Mac.

IE for the Mac? I doubt that too many of us will miss it!

OTB

25. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I can't believe how much attention this has gotten...

IE for mac has really been dead for years... now it's just official.

On the plus side, hopefully MSIE will work through WINE on the intel macs.