Give me a GOOD reason to upgrade to Panther...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by dontmakemehurtu, Apr 26, 2004.

1. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

What, you expect people to try to convince you to do something because you feel like starting a debate?

Don't upgrade if you don't want to. Nobody cares.

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Forget Expose and all the software features (although those are all good reaosns to upgrade IMO) - how about the fact that Panther makes your system run faster? A faster system is surely worth something to you, no? Everyone I have talked to who has upgraded has commented how Panther has sped up their system quite noticably...

In the end though, you got to go with what works for you... Sounds like you're content with Jaguar, so why even bother aksing the question?

3. Dros macrumors 6502

You were in Panther and you downgraded to Jaguar? Did you have a reason for doing that? If Panther wasn't any better than Jaguar, but not worse, then it doesn't seem like you would bother going through a downgrade. If it was worse, then you know better than we do if Expose and speed would make up for the negatives.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I'll put a vote down for expose. I'm constantly fighting my impulse to click the middle mouse button when I'm on a pc and trying to find a window. I think it's a great way to use the system.

One downside I've had and haven't been able to fix is the lack of classic support. I've tried various methods of fixing this, but they haven't worked. Argh.

And ~Shard~ is right, your system does run faster. Many fewer beach ball of death sightings.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

my wife found one reason good enough for her: the updated address book label printing. with panther address book she can print a sheetful of address labels in a minute, saving her fifteen minutes of searching and writing addresses to envelopes. multiply that by 20 and you'll see how much she saves when it comes the time to send out the christmas cards :D we're talking about a whole day here...

maybe that's not worth anything for you, but that did the trick for her.

6. Apple //e macrumors 6502

its new and improved

7. Bear macrumors G3

Why should you upgrade? Without knowing why you went back to Jaguar, it's hard to say.

However, Panther is faster for a lot of things. Also, some new applications that are coming out only work in 10.3 or later.

Did you really revert back to Jaguar or are you only stiring up trouble?

8. radhak macrumors regular

is that right? Panther does not support Classic? I have a number of toddler games that run on Classic, so all those would go waste if I upgrade, then...?!

9. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

10. Bear macrumors G3

That's funny. I do see classic support in Panther. What Panther doesn't come with is the Classic environment itself. You have to either have 9.22 to install or have gotten Classiv with a Mac.

11. Bear macrumors G3

Panther does support classic.

Nope, they're wrong. Panther does support Classic.

12. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

If your computer came with Classic, then it will be located on the sotware restore disk that came with your computer. I upgraded from Jag. to Panther, and didn't really need Classic, until about a week ago. Just pop in the SW restore disk, and click on restore classic option. It works as well as it did in Jag.

13. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Maybe you should have thought about the value of the upgrade before you bought it.

It didn't make things worse, did it? I don't quite understand why you'd reinstall Jaguar after spending $129 on Panther. Maybe you would have stumbled on a feature you liked. Now you certainly won't.

I guess the "good reason" I'll give you to upgrade to Panther is: because you already own it.

14. arimoore macrumors newbie

I'd give expose another chance if I were you. It took me a little while to get the full impact of its usefulness and now I can say without a doubt that it's greatly increased my productivity. My 12" iBook screen can now handle 20 open windows in a much more speedy way. But if you really didn't like it, and you don't need your computer to be faster, stick with Jag...

15. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

man, that was going to be my point exactly. if you already have the program, you might as well be using it. and that way you can also take advantage of all the software updates as they come (assuming some of them would require 10.3 or better).

16. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I think we need more information to give you good advice, here. If you don't miss any of the new features in Panther, why do you "sooooo" want to try it again? Why are you paranoid about upgrading?

If you don't need any of Panther's features, then you don't need Panther...yet. However, you can bet that over time, Apple's updated apps will only run on 10.3 and up, and newer technologies will increasingly lack support in Jaguar. But for now (and especially if you're on a machine old enough to have a floppy drive) you probably don't need to upgrade.

17. Flickta macrumors 6502

feelings

seems this discussion is over. Okay, I'll just express my frustration here.

I am very disappointed with Panther. It's faster than Jaguar, but its Finder is SO buggy, I just can't believe it. It keeps quitting. Applications tend to unexpectedly quit more often they did in Jaguar. And interface is ill. To be honest, Panther interface is not consistent, it looks like a dozen of systems combined in one. This was the only feature of classic Mac OS I hadn't missed that finally found its way into X. Also about Garage Band. Who created interface for this piece of good software? Worse than any windows program. (Not saying a word about functionality, but the looks of recent Apple products are terrible) :mad:

18. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I wasn't going to bother upgrading to Panther until I absolutely had to, but since I just bought a new powerbook, I have upgraded by default. Once I started using expose, I dont think I can ever go back. When I get back on the old computer running 10.2.8, I am always trying to use expose. To me expose is becoming like the scroll wheel on a mouse, not really necessary but dang nice to have.

19. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Just because I'm paranoid, I'm gonna ask. So, all I need to do is pop in the sofware restore disc that originally came with my computer, and restart? It won't try to format my drive or anything? I really don't wanna lose my data.

20. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

The 150 new features in Panther are just icing on what is essentially, a better cake recipe.