Give me one good reason... (PowerBook vs. MacBook)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by korimickster, Jan 23, 2006.

1. korimickster macrumors newbie

I am several clicks away from buying a 15 inch PowerBook G4. I was dead set on buying a MacBook Pro, but recently I just am not convinced that it would be the right decision. As a video editor/producer, it is almost impossible for me to come to a conclusion on what machine to buy. What do you think about NOT buying the MacBook Pro and deciding on the PowerBook?

The main thing I am concerned about is not being able to edit on Final Cut Pro for a few weeks/months if I DO buy the MacBook. If I get the PowerBook, I can run all of my existing Apps the day I buy the machine. This would not be the case with the MacBook. Also, I know the PowerBook inside and out. I know nothing about the MacBook other than the reviews people have given it (and most of the reviews arent very convincing). Who knows if this thing is going to crash every time I try to boot DVD Studio Pro? Another thing is I know I will probably never use the iSight, so I am seriously considering the PowerBook.

Why can't they just solve all my problems by dropping the price of the PowerBook?!?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, I can't imagine that Apple will leave portions of it's high-end users out in the cold for TOO long, so I wouldn't imagine a universal binary of Pro Tools is too far away. That being said, Apple has been acting a bit strangely lately and that universal version MIGHT be in the next pay-for-version. Which would suck ASS. But I have no idea if that will actually happen.

You can also look at it this way.. buying a PBG4, you're knowingly buying an obsolete Mac. Buying a MacBookPro (heretofore known as the MBP), well it's the first gen of a new design, who knows what inherant problems it might have?

But I'm with you.. :confused: on which to buy. I'd probably buy the MBP.. AFTER they released the software I needed.

3. korimickster thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel the same exact way, I just don't know how long I can wait.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the G4 has the "horizontal lines" issue... that alone would be reason enough for me not to buy it if I were a professional video editor.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I thought Apple had said that the Pro tools would be released as a Universal binary in March but that you'd have to pay $49(?) for a copy of the disks

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Digidesign makes ProTools. They are owned by Avid Designs. So it's really got nothing to do with Apple, other than how available they make their Dev kits (which, based on the popularity of ProTools, is not likely a problem, unless they REALLY want Garageband to compete [which, of course, it can't]). Unless they are providing software upgrades independently?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah.. I thought it was an Apple product like Final Cut and Logic and whatnot.. Clearly I don't work in the industry. :)

8. korimickster thread starter macrumors newbie

That was another thing I was seriously considering. I wonder if they are going to do ANYTHING to fix that.

9. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Actually, I was half expecting to be corrected, since Apple does have a history of buying up software that works well with it (Final Cut and Logic are good examples of that)...

10. PDE macrumors 68020

As much as everybody wants this to be the killer apple laptop, it really isn't. If there's one thing I've learned over the years is that trusting your machine is worth a lot. I'd take a slightly slower but rock solid machine any day over a first generation intel laptop (or 1st gen powerpc laptop for that matter). It's all nice to have the latest power, but there are going to be bumps beyond those we already no for certain(such as the lack of universal binary versions of most software.) So, in addition to little software at this point, what other difficulties will there be? It's anybody's guess at this point....do you want to gamble or do you want to work and play?

I say go for the powerbook and be happy today!

11. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Or better yet, if you plan on buying an intel Mac laptop down the road, get a refurbished older model and save yourself a bunch of bucks.

12. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

I hightly encourage you NOT to get the 15" PowerBook.
    Like QCassidy352 says, they have a horizontal line issue.
    What is the horizontal line issue? Look in these forums and you'll find out.
    I recently bought one but ended up returningn it because of this same problem.
    I saw the 17" PB and it does not have the horizontal line issue, but all the 15"s I've seen, do.

As far as the programs go, check out the link below.
    Apple will make the PRO apps available for the Intel platform around March.
    I'd say go for the MacBook Pro. I'm getting one also, but I'll wait for Rev B.
    Do the same if you can afford to wait.

http://www.apple.com/r/store/universal/

13. 3dit3r macrumors member

They do. Buy a refurbished PB.

Your concerns make it quite obvious as to what machine to buy. PB. FCP 6 is rumored for a Spring release, so if you can't wait until then, then get the PB. If you use other programs such as After Effects, Photoshop, etc., you will have to wait until those are released. Could be awhile.

Don't listen to the naysayers on the 15" with lines. They are not an issue when editing and any pro knows not to use an LCD screen for color correction, title generation, etc. That's what the CRT is for. I've used the 15" with lines to edit and it's fine.

14. korimickster thread starter macrumors newbie

How recent was this purchase? I wonder if it is still going on.

15. korimickster thread starter macrumors newbie

I see what you mean and I agree with your points, but if I am dropping $2k+ my display better be IMMACULATE.

16. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Obsolete is a really, really bad word to use, as it implies "no longer functional," "useless," and things of that nature. A system that cannot run the newest OS might be called obsolete, but not the second most recent generation of laptops, and the current fastest in many areas given Rosetta's performance, as seen in the new iMacs.

17. Kelson macrumors member

Well....look at it like this...

If you buy the Powerbook, you will have a 1.67ghz G4 based system that will run your current software. When the Universal Pro Apps will be out, and you will still be running on a 1.67ghz G4.

If you buy a MacBook, you will have to wait about a month for it to ship. While you wait, you will have to continue to use your current Mac. If the Pro Apps don't have Universal Binaries by the time your MacBook arrives, you will have to continue to use your current Mac for those apps. When the UB's ship, you will have a significant performance upgrade w/ your Core Duo running the Pro Apps natively.

Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

- Kelson

18. korimickster thread starter macrumors newbie

Because of the horizontal lines issue, I am taking that quote, closing my eyes, and crossing my fingers.

19. tribe3 macrumors 6502

IntelMacs vs. PPC is the same transition that OSX was to OS9. At first it was painful but it was a non-return trip

20. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Hi there,

I'm new here but i just thought i'd say, why don't you check eBay for the previous 15'' Powerbook 1.67, Rev D ? I am a studying video artist / editor and i purchased one myself about a year ago, and it is an absolutely wonderful machine.

You might not have the higher resolution screen, but it certainly doesn't have the ''lines in the screen'' issue.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but i'd consider getting a used one and check out the next Rev MacBook.

Rich.

21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Don't worry, get the MacBook and enjoy your apps being significantly faster when UB on your MBP than they would have been on any G4. :)

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It also means "no longer current".

But I'll change it in favor of "depricated".