Give me some filming pointers

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by liketom, Jul 18, 2006.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Been a bit bored recently, so i decided to get my camera jib out and have a go with it.

problem was i had no idea what i wanted to shoot so i decied to shoot my mrs crappy corsa ;)

10 min of waving the jib around got me 30 seconds of something that i edited in imovie.

so my question is how can i improve on my camera shooting skills?

i already know about the one of getting a better camera :p but i'm not ready to drop £2k + on a camera that i will have no idea how to use proper

dropped a colour version on youtube and a sepia version on my .Mac

take a look and give us some pointers to get better results please:)

.Mac Sepia http://homepage.mac.com/thestringer/iMovieTheater55.html

YouTube colour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pMxcw1UuYk

:cool:

2. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

1st off: Did you make your own Jib? and spill the details please.

Ok so the problems I would say is one at the beggining its to quick of cuts ( I almost had a seisure) If you want to go with the beat my suggestion is to first start with the audio then work your way to the video. I felt like I was thrown head first blinded.

Towards the end you had a shot that raised gradually then cut and then back to a new raise with a fade which felt to similar.

Only other thing really is try to get really different angles. From tire shots, leading lines, birds eye views everything and anything. Then cut out what doesn't look good. That all I have but hey I dont even have a camera yet so what do I know?

3. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

Attached Files:

• K2B.jpg
      K2B.jpg
      File size:
      16 KB
      Views:
  4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I disagree with that. The cuts are much quicker on lots of stuff shown on TV.

5. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

so would you say my cuts could be quicker ?

i was going to use overlap rather then fade out/in to speed the thing up also

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Not necessarily, but the quick cuts in the beginning weren't seisure inducing for me. Maybe it's because MTV was already well established when I was a teenager. I really like the panning effects you get with the jib. If I should make a suggestion, I'd try to do something with some of the longer cuts where it takes quite a while for the car to come into the picture.

7. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

i'm thinking of extending my Jib so i can get higer shots -

like a pan shot over the top of the car looking down

i have a better idea now of what i will try next, a mixture of parked moving shots of the car mixed with moving car shoots from various angles

all i can say is dam you Top Gear for giving me wild ideas at camera shots :D

8. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Both of you are right.

However, what I had a problem with was that the quick cuts were mainly zoom jumps that were not equal in duration and then there was a little zoom in the last one. A smooth fade transition between the quick jumps would make it look more fluid.

Cut the pan of the brick wall down a little.

I liked the tilt up of from the brick driveway to the car.

Working with a Jib takes a lot of practice. Keep at it.

What kind of camera are you using? The pictures looks good.

9. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

i am using a crappy Sony HC19E

10. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Cuts are alot quicker on the TV yes I agree. But just becuase TV has it doens't make it a quality show/commercial.

If you are watching a film/TV/any medium to do with that and you notice the cuts more that the message trying to get across then you've failed (unless you are just trying to be fancy).

For example: when it started I go oh that was weird those cuts they were very quick. Towards the end I'm more focusing on the car and its looks and what not and the Cuts are just directing me to my next thoughts (with out noticing them)

But again this is all subjective. Keep that in mind. Everything I have said has been my own opinion. Find what you like best and run with it.

11. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

That was pretty good, actually, try getting some more details, like curved shapes and such and such.

For the rest I advise you to get some friends together, brainstorm a bit and make a movie. Blue Screen is smething that's not that difficult to do and opens a world of possibilities. Rotoscopy is an easy way for special effects, if you're a bit familiar with photoshop. Although those options require something other than iMovie. Perhaps you can install a 30-day trial of Adobe Premiere, which can export to filmstrip format, and use that in Photoshop (30 day trial)

This is what I did (although we had a purpose for it, but that would lead us too far) and I daresay the movie was nice, for a first movie. (ps, we didn't have any sort of tripod, a mistake I won't make twice, especially when rotoscoping)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XytgSJ_fYR0

PS I advise you not to link to your .Mac homepage with a movie, there are bandwith limits, and one time I was stuck withouth site for 14 days)

12. sigamy macrumors 65816

I thought it was good. Maybe slow down some of the jib shots. The last shot was very nice and smooth.

Keep it up!