Giving advice to others

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vwguy60, May 25, 2006.

1. vwguy60 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I am new to this whole Mac world and I have a question in regard to offering computer illiterate people advice. I am unfortunately well versed in the Windows environment because I have been building computers for years and troubleshooting other friend's and family computers.

My question is, if you knew someone who was not good with troubleshooting virus and spyware problems, would you give them the advice to get a Mac if they were fairly familiar with using Windows?

I only got my first Mac about a month ago and have been trying to learning everything I could. It is a great computer (MBP) and my previous Mac experience only is setting up airport on an old G3 iBook. The example I use is the ibook never failed in the 4 years my fiance had it.

My MBP was my first real step to a Mac and yes, to ease my transition, i installed XP with bootcamp. I now only use XP for SolidWorks now and find myself wanting to replace all the other home computers with Macs.

Sorry of this is a dumb question!

2. taytho macrumors 6502

I really think that the reliability alone and the ease of use.... as in you cant mess things up, makes a MAC a great choice for a mostly computer illiterate person..... it will take a bit of time to work with them... and maybe a few phone calls for support but things will be alllllll good after that i bet. i did this with my mother and ex girlfriend and it worked very well

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

My mother is having a much easier time getting on the internet and checking e-mail with her new Mac than her old PC. That says it all really.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I usually tell people with a computer problem:

"You know how to fix that? Get a Mac."
    Some hate that advice, and some ask more questions. Otherwise I don't bother trying to convert people. People have to want to be converted otherwise it's a waste of time (I don't push).

5. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Not a dumb question at all. I would even advise you to advise everyone else to get Macs, computer savy or not. I also predict that eventually you will be deleting XP from your MBP. Do I sound like a hard core Mac fanatic? :p

6. Queso macrumors G4

It depends very much on the person. if you feel that they are able to think their way through things, then advise them the Mac is the machine for them. Otherwise, if the "Windows way" of doing things is so ingrained that they can't shake it even if given an easier method, you're only opening yourself up to them resenting you.

Some people (my father included) just see their machines being constantly infected with rubbish as preferable to having to learn something new and will never switch. It doesn't matter how computer literate you are, to these people the moment you mention Macs you instantly become a Mac fanatic rather than an expert opinion.

7. vwguy60 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the advice on advice, it seems I am also making a big switch as well. The XP partition is not deleted yet but I did repartition it much smaller since there is only one program I need it for.

As for the common failures and the general crap on PCs I always have to fix, the Mac seems definately the way to go for those not so inclined to fix them. Even for those like me that likes to use them, I can use it without having to keep fixing it so I can use it.

When are the towers coming out? That will be the time to get rid of my powerful desktop machine.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I love Macs and like seeing Apple's business grow, but I'm honest with people who ask for recommendations, and sometimes that means recommending a PC. The primary reason is when the person's only support is going to be a Windows-knowledgeable person (usually a relative) who can't help with Macs. Usually, this is because somebody who won't be helping themselves will be dependent on their spouse, parent, child, neighbor, or somebody else who I know won't switch to Mac and knows little about Apple products.

If I'm their support person, a Mac makes great sense. But if somebody who has no computer skills on their own says their cousin Vinnie is the one who will help them with their computer regularly, and cousin Vinnie is a committed PC guy, I can't in good conscience recommend that they become a Mac pioneer.

Of course, I make sure to point out Mac advantages, even as I tell them that if they must depend on cousin Vinnie, they'd better stick with what Vinnie knows.

9. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

My mother, too. :p, she does really well on the Mac (got it when she was almost 70). The few things she's wondered about along the way, have been things either I or my brother have been able to walk her through over the phone. She's even searched MR for answers after we told her about the site.

The ease of using the Mac also gave her the courage to have fun with a digital camera / iPhoto. That would've never been something she got into, if it hadn't been for the Mac.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I know... I had a situation like that backfire on me a while back... some people just don't like it when you point out theirPC'sinsufficiencies... :D

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I usually say it to test the waters. If the reaction is mild I might continue on as to why they should get a Mac.

As for PC users that are FOR LIFE, I definitely say it, for s***s and giggles.